MTU Error

Ok, Not really certain of what to do.  3 Days ago I was connecting fine, I turn on my Xbox today to find myself getting an MTU error.  I am connected by way of ethernet cable.  

What I have done this far.

Cleared Cache on Xbox twice, restarted xbox and restored factory default.  While it was shut down I also disconnected the modem and had it turned off for just over a minute.  After this I am still getting the MTU error.  I have checked my UPNP which currently On.  My ports I have no idea how to check, I have gone through my router and can not find any way to change them, but considering I have made 0 changes or updates to my computer they should be the same.  If anyone has any other ideas please let me know cause I am all out.  I have called verizon and my MTU is actually fine, currently my Max MTU is 1500 which is high enough according the the support questions I found...

My modem is a Verizon Actiontec GT704WGB.  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 30 Applies to:

Hey there Kreaven! Thanks for the post about your issue. Hopefully we can get you squared away soon! How is your modem connected to the cable outlet? Do you use any cable splitters or is your modem connected directly to the outlet? If you do use a splitter or other intermediary device, can you try removing those and let us know the results? Thanks :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply, have been at work, My xbox is connected directly to my router/modem via ethernet cable.  Problem is still persisting = (

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, in that case, can you please take a few minutes to answer the bold questions listed here? It will give us an in depth look at your network setup. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there something wrong with LIVE?  Not at the moment

It's saying I am suspended/banned. Neither Suspended or Banned

Run a network connection test.  This is where I get the MTU Error

Record the results. "MTU Error.  Says to unplug modem, and to simplify my connection.  Done this about a dozen times lol, same error every time.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? California

Modem brand & model number: Verizon Actiontec GT704WGB

Router brand & model number: *same as above*

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?

Things you have tried: Wired connection

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT? While getting the MTU error I am assuming I do not have Nat.

Any Error Codes you encounter: N/A

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Verizon DSL

If I missed something please let me know

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Kreavan, when you said you unplugged and simplified your connection, how did you do that exactly? Did you try connecting directly to the modem, to see if the issue occurred then? Also, to be sure, have you tried working through all of the steps listed here?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I did everything listed there = /. My Xbox is connected directly in to the router via Ethernet cable.  And just to rephrase it my I have a router/modem all in one type.    I have called Verizon but they find 0 issues with my setup, right now I am waiting on my nephew coming over in a few days.  He has a newer system, I wanted to see if his works.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, please let us know if your nephew is able to connect on his console, and we'll go from there. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I brought my nephews Xbox over and unfortunately Xbox is also getting the MTU error at my house.  Which on the upside means its not the XBOX.  On the downside I get to try and figure out where my settings are wrong, maybe its a bad modem?

meh its actually making me really upset = (.  I know its not really anyone fault just been trying to fix this for over a week.  And if god forbid it is the XBOX lol I cant even replace it = (

Sorry this didn't help.

There's a known issue with Verizon and MTU, but that only started tonight (2/3/2012). One thing you might try is manual DNS under configure network. It usually solves MTU errors. Probably wouldn't be effective right now.

Sorry this didn't help.