MTU Error 3rd Time

Hi, I got an xbox for christmas and it connected to xbox live fine and one day it randomly disconnected. I figured it may have been because of the weather I checked the next day and it still would not work, saying I had an MTU error. I was confused as to how I have insufficient MTU when I somehow had sufficient MTU when it would work. I followed the steps and even called the microsoft team but could not be helped seeing as I could not call my ISP. I didn't play the xbox for about a month or two and I decided to and it suddenly signed me in as online and connected to live. Again, a few months later, it disconnected from live and did not work until two months later when my gold had expired. I bought more gold membership seeing as it worked again and live worked for about two months despite the rare and random disconnections. At the moment, I cannot connect to xbox live for the same reasons it would not connect the past times. I am quite upset because I'm worried the same thing will happen like last time and my gold will expire. The night before it would not connect, it continuously disconnected me over and over and i had to turn my console on and off for it to work while playing skate with some friends. The next day, it would not connect at all and I need some help on how to fix it. Sorry if this is a long post.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hiya, have you attempted to follow the "simplify setup" directions of the MTU thread located here? I'm curious to know this because if you were directly connected from your cable / dsl modem via an Ethernet cable to your XBOX 360 I would expect you to get no sort of MTU error at all.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

yes I have and sadly, there is still the same MTU error. When I test the connection, there is a big red cross between the wired/wireless name symbol and the internet. Although when I turn my router off for 30 seconds and turn it back on, the big red cross is between the internet and xbox live but then changes back when I retest it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you know the name of your ISP and the make and model number of your cable/dsl modem? It would help to look up some other information to see if other users had the same issue with this specific ISP with that specific modem etc.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are there more devices like a second console or a dedicated server presents in your network? If it does, you do need the MTU settings. and also to open ports on the IP address that the Xbox gets from the router. if it ain't, My suggestion is to reset the modem to fabric settings and turn on the uPnP and if you go wireless, that to.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the late reply. I have an iPod touch and a laptop connected to the wireless if that's what you mean by devices. I don't have any other consoles connected just my xbox 360. I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to technology and  I don't know what the ports are and how to open them... a few weeks ago, i reset the router and it didnt work but then my wireless changed it's name by itself to something like RT3052_AP or whatever and it worked. Then it changed back to DSL-2730B then it didn't connect once again. I'm sure the model number is on the router itself and I will look into it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update, Ultimate. If you could take a look at this sticky and post your responses to the questions in bold at the bottom of the page that would be very helpful as well: forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx. Hang in there, Ultimate! Standing by for your response.

Sorry this didn't help.