MS Question? Always On

Do I truly own what I purchased, if the content can only be used if I'm online. People this is a serious question can someone try to answer this question for me.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

[quote user="NORE"]

Do I truly own what I purchased,

[/quote]

With digital content, no.

[quote user="NORE"]

People this is a serious question can someone try to answer this question for me.

[/quote]

Until Microsoft releases an official statement, no one can answer. All else is rumor and conjecture, I don't care how many bloggers claim inside info.

[quote user="NORE"]Do I truly own what I purchased?[/quote]

If you buy it on disc, you own the media (the disc itself), but not the game.  Same goes for a movie you may buy on DVD or Blu-Ray, you own the disc, but not the movie.

If you buy through download, then no, you don't own it.  What you own is the rights to access that game any time you want.

[quote]if the content can only be used if I'm online?[/quote]

On the Xbox 360, yes you can access it.  

On the next generation Xbox, despite the (completely unconfirmed) rumours floating around of always online, we simply don't know yet. If the rumours turn out to be true, and the console will be required to be always
 online, then you will need to be online for everything you do on that console.  If the rumours are not true, and there is no always online, then it will be the same as the Xbox 360.  We will need to wait and see which it is.

Everything you have read or heard is true you dont own your DRM movies books tv shows etc.....

No internet no xbox for any reason

Internet goes down for 3 mins your kicked and trouble shoot starts no saves all lost game play

These are true....there are those living in denial

[quote user="IRISH PSYCHO317"]Everything you have read or heard is true[/quote]

Proof???  ie, Something that is not someone's blog.  Even if every single rumour does, in fact eventuate.  As of the 9th of April 2013, unless you have solid proof, then you have nothing to back up that statement, and it is still a rumour.

Try learning what the meaning of the word "rumour" is, because it blatantly obvious that you don't know.  

[quote user="IRISH PSYCHO317"]These are true....there are those living in denial[/quote] 

If knowing the difference between what is FACT (as in here is the irrefutable evidence to back up a statement), and RUMOUR (as in using other people's opinions, conjecture, unsubstantiated information) is "denial", then so be it.  I want facts and facts alone.  Can you provide me a single piece of HARD EVIDENCE of your statement?  Because if you can't, then you are in denial. 

Someone needs to inform Irish Psycho's mental health provider that he is NOT taking his meds.

Thanks everyone, I believe this needs to change and we need to start a serious discussion on this with iTunes, xbox live, and movie studios. Since we don't physically own this content then we should not have to pay ownership prices people. Just having access is not ownership and we should not be charged for ownership. Something is seriously wrong with the pricing model.

[quote user="Zen Like Calm"]If you buy it on disc, you own the media (the disc itself), but not the game.  Same goes for a movie you may buy on DVD or Blu-Ray, you own the disc, but not the movie.[/quote]To be clear, doctrine of first sale applies to physical products. You don't own the IP, but you own that copy of the movie/game. You may resell it to a third party without the publisher's consent. You may use it anywhere without their consent.

As of now, the majority of content on a game disc or movie disc can be used stand-alone without any authentication or DRM.

The one glaring exception is PC games that are tied to an online distribution platform (Steam or Origin in most cases). In that instance, the data on the disc is just an alternative to downloading the game from the distribution platform. You don't need to use the disc, what matters is the code in the box unlocking the content and binding it to one's account.[quote]If you buy through download, then no, you don't own it.  What you own is the rights to access that game any time you want.[/quote]It's important to note that the right to access the content can be revoked at any time by the distribution platform, for any reason. Amazon revokes Kindle purchases and whole accounts without refunds. Steam accounts are locked and all content forfeited. In both cases, there's no appeal system in place. In that respect, it's a lot like Microsoft's policy enforcement team - we think you did something wrong, we're not going to tell you why we think that, and we don't care what you've spent with us.

Microsoft has already revoked access to downloadable content. All of original XBOX Live was shut down.

To be fair, MS to date hasn't revoked much content on the current Live platform. While games become unavailable, typically they are still downloadable from one's download history. As far as Steam is concerned, off the record Gabe has said that if Steam were to shut down they'd try to find some way to unlock purchases. The people/organizations running these systems have a vested interest in building trust. Original XBOX Live's usage numbers and available content were a drop in the bucket compared to today's Live service, reducing the likelihood that 360 content will just "go away".