MS, One Gamer's Controller Opinion

Let me preface this by saying I realize this is just an opinion, and also that I considered the Xbox 360 controller to be the best controller of all time.  I had both PS3 and Xbox 360 last gen, the PS3 mostly collected dust, and besides the fact most of my friends/fam are on Xbox, part of my 360 bias had to do with the fact that the controller was LEAGUES better than the Dualshock 3.

Fast forward, in this one gamer's opinion the One controller is WORSE than the 360, almost ruined.  It doesn't fit my hand as well, although I cannot pinpoint why, it just isn't as comfortable.  I keep accidentally pressing in on the left aim trigger in FPS, not sure if the placement changed or they made it more sensitive.  This happens at least once but usually multiple times per match.  

The placement of the shoulder buttons is also a big step back.  They're just not easy to hit moving from the triggers, too high and/or far back?  It just doesn't feel natural.  The menu and options or whatever they call the Start and Select buttons now, also hard to find, and for my tastes, although the verdict is still out on this, I don't like the new analog sticks, although they look cool, they're a bit too small and it's tougher to keep them in constant contact with your thumb.  Not sure if it's the fact that the controller doesn't seem to fit my hand overall as well anymore, but my aim is not as good as it is on 360 or even PS4 (I own both).  

I never thought this was possible after last gen, but I actually think the Dualshock 4 is better than the Xbox One controller.  DS4 so much better than DS3, the triggers and buttons are placed well, the sticks seem to be just the right size and easy to keep contact with, the touchpad seems unnecessary but is actually really helpful in COD for pulling up the score quickly since the button is so big.  It's just a comfortable controller that works well.

I am NOT a fanboy.  I own both systems, and truthfully if I had to only have 1 I would HANDS down pick the Xbox One.  I love all the multimedia and multitasking functions, putting my TV through it, and I love Xbox Fitness and Kinect.  I was playing a game and watching an NBA game on TV at the same time which was awesome.  And as I said earlier most of my friends/fam are on XBL.  But I am dissapointed in the controller, IMO they sorta ruined the best controller of all time.

Kudos on the new D-Pad, and the new guide button, and getting rid of the battery bulge, but overall a step back.  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The right and left bumbers work better if you "roll" your knuckle up to hit it from the trigger...makes it easier to keep your fingers on the trigger and quickly use the bumpers . It makes it faster to hit. Not sure if its designed that way but it seems to work well if you do that.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The xb1 and 360 have different grip angles too. I wish they had customizable modular controllers you can design to your liking. They would have polymer or rubber backstraps that create the SIZE and ANGLE u want

Sorry this didn't help.

I like the XO controller much better than the 360. I guess it just feels better to me.

Learn to play claw style, you'll solve most of your problems with accessing triggers/bumpers. Shoot with your middle fingers on triggers, Use your pointer finger to operate buttons and the RB.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Supervelous! We definitely appreciate the feedback because it's always taken into account!

However, this is a support forum and since this is a feedback post, I suggest making this thread over in the Feedback Forums so it can be seen by the feedback team. ^_^

Sorry this didn't help.