MS Needs to Start Being Competitive...

I am as big of an Xbox supporter as they get. I purchased an XBox at launch, I have 2 XBox One's pre-ordered, I have been a member of Xbox Live Gold since day one on the original XBox, and I own over 850 games for both systems (roughly 300 for XBox, 400 for 360 and 150 XBox Live Arcade titles). All but 4 of those games were purchased brand new, from retailers like Best Buy and Amazon. In other words, I don't know how I would support this brand any more than I already do. 

That being said, I have grown more and more upset over the huge difference in value of the premium online memberships (Xbox Live Gold & PS+), and the huge difference in regards to sales and deals. Sony is absolutely destroying MS on this front. Between Sony's free to play service and the great sales they have on a pretty much weekly basis....well, its just puts Xbox Live Gold and MS's sales to shame. The sales actually started to get better earlier this year but then they wen't right back to being crappy again like 4 weeks before the Summer of Arcade. The games for gold program, which was no doubt started to complete with Sony's free to play service (even if MS denies it),  has been a monumental letdown. There hasn't been a single game yet that I didn't already own. So many people were complaining that MS came out andaddress the games for gold program, stating that the program wasn't a way of competing with Sony, that it was just a way of reintroducing games to the classics. How utterly worthless.

I expect one thing and one thing only from MS in regards to this market and that is for them to be competitive. The fact that MS makes VASTLY more money than Sony....well, it just makes the gap between these companies, at least in this regard, that much more unacceptable. If Sony can afford a program like free to play, that so can MS and if Sony can afford to have quality sales on a pretty much weekly basis, than so can MS. From what I have heard, most developers want their titles to go on sale and some have complained (Super Meat Boy), that it took way too long for their title to be put on sale and that they tried to get it put on sale sooner. With almost 50 million Xbox Live members, MS is pulling in at least 1.3-1.6 Billion a year just from Gold memberships ALONE!!! Time to give a little back and put the Xbox Live Gold membership in line with Sony's PS+. Time for MS to get competitive!!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Reintroducing people to the classics (last paragraph). Not sure how you reintroduce games to the classics. Yep, haven't had my coffee yet!

400 360 game and 150 arcade titles you say. How come you have only played 307 game on your profile

Maybe he has a petty big backlog?

I dont disagree with all of your posts, but some of it. One thing about PS+ free games is they are only good as long as you are a paying member. Stop paying games go bye bye. Games for gold while admittedly inferior you get to keep what you download. Sony made a huge mistake with their free online, hence why its going to be a paid service on PS4. Its your choice to buy games new, I however prefer to wait for games to drop a little before purchasing so the amount you bought new is irrelevant to how much you support xbox.

Pretty big backlog would be a massive understatement. Not to mention my account got zeroed out a couple years back. I lost 18,000 points and many of the games I finished don't show up at all now as I haven't played them again since then. I have a picture of my collection up on cheapassgamer. If you want, I would be more than happy to track down the link and post it. Not sure what this has to do with my post but I am more than happy to do it.

I am well aware that the games go bye by once you stop paying for PS+. That doesn't stop them from being free and most of the people that pay for online service, do so over the life of the console. People don't join one month, then stop, then join up again. I know a crap load of gamers and every last one of them have had XBox Live gold since day 1. The fact that you would lose a ton of games if you stopped subscribing would only make it FAR less likely that people will stop subscribing. Either way, its a MILLION times better than anything MS has offered. In all honesty, the only people I have ever seen complaining about this issue are Xbox owners who are trying to make the program look less enticing than it is. I have yet to see a single Playstation subscriber complain that they don't actually own the games. That in itself should tell you something. They are to busy talking about all of the great games they have free access too. 

Here are the links to the pictures of my games. Was faster to just go straight to Photobucket, where I uploaded the pics. Again, not sure what this has to do with my post but I am more than happy to slap down insinuations that I am lying about how many games I own.

i1059.photobucket.com/.../IMG_5579_zpsf787993f.jpg

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t423/GotMyOrangeCrush/IMG_5577_zpsa3bc291c.jpg

i1059.photobucket.com/.../IMG_5583_zpsaebbdb6e.jpg

Oh, and by the way, the fact that I buy my games new is NOT irrelevant. MS and the game developers don't see penny one from used game sales. Zip, nodda, nothing. So people that buy games new are putting money into not only the developers pockets, but also Microsoft's. People that buy games used are putting their money into that company period. If your buying your games at Gamestop, then Gamestop gets the money. If your buying them used at Best Buy then Best Buy gets the money. Again, none of it goes to MS and none of it goes to the developers. So the fact that I purposely buy all of my games new is a way of supporting both MS and the game developers. I refuse to buy used for this very reason. I want the market to be healthy and the best way to ensure that is making sure the money from game sales is going to the people responsible for making the games. Anyways, that fact that I buy all my games new ties in with what I was saying in the first paragraph, that I don't know how I could go about supporting Xbox more than I already do.

Playstation's free online multiplayer only makes them a good candidate for a secondary console for me.  If Playstation and Xbox both charged the same thing, I'd choose Xbox.  Personal preference.  I couldn't bring myself to pay for Playstation Plus just for the sake of the games.  I prefer to own the games I play.  If I borrow a game from a friend, or rent it, I only play it with my offline profile.  I'm a little OCD that way.  I don't like having achievements for games that aren't mine.  Playstation's free games are taken away from you when you stop paying for their service, so the games are never actually yours, so that's definitely a no-go for me.

-

Xbox does ask more of you, but the payoff is worth it in the end.  I find the gameplay to be very satisfying on just about everything I play on it.  The controller feels very good in my hands, which has led to me using Xbox Controllers as gamepads for my PC (that and easy compatibility with most gamepad-enabled games).  I feel that the discounts offered to Gold membership holders are worth it.  They have good games in the Deal of the Week sales on a regular basis.  Right now they've got DmC for only $14.99, down from $29.99, with most of the DLC for half price, among other games as well.  Really nothing to complain about there.

[quote user="Righteous Nixon"]That being said, I have grown more and more upset over the huge difference in value of the premium online memberships (Xbox Live Gold & PS+), and the huge difference in regards to sales and deals.[/quote]Do you own a PS3? Have you used it regularly?

The "value" you speak of comes with a not-insignificant time investment. PSN is not like the Marketplace.

I have both. I rarely use my PS3.