MS.... here's an idea about game installs...

there are those of us who own more than one game and like to switch between games quickly and efficiently without having to get up from our couches all the time to take the damn disc out and put a new one in.

why not include a single use code with each game disc sold to allow games to be installed and played straight from the HDD? that would make the disc drive last longer...

and single use codes could be generated at the point of sale where you buy the disc games...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It's very early here, so I am really sorry for my ignorance, but are you joking? You know that was MS's original plan, right?

Dragonslayer , yes m8,i completely agree, would have beenn so so much better, itwas going to be like pc games,one cheaper purchase,install and throw the disk away,or completely online installs,we would have been able to reap the mass of benefits..well maybe in 5 years when they make the next xbox people will listen and let MS give us their original idea.

There are posts like this littered all over these and many other gaming forums, most likely from the very same shortsighted individuals that nearly rioted over Microsofts initial policies for X1. It makes me laugh. But then I get a little angry at what could have been had things been left alone. Was I the only one that nearly dropped his preorder when microsoft did their famous 180?

Just buy the digital version of the game. Problem solved.

Ive just been going digital. Its easier

Not everyone has a fast internet or unlimited connection to digitally download games. Most people I know still goes and buys disc copies of games.

XNA is going to be great

still dont understand why nobody has made a disc changer for consoles

@ DragonSlayer

"You know that was MS's original plan, right?"... Uh, yes and no... Yes installs would have negated the use of the disc, at the cost of a 24hr check-in. Not even steam is that bad (maybe previously, but not now, and MS sure knew that, but tried to offer a pathetic alternative).

@ Dedred

"Just buy the digital version of the game. Problem solved."... Yes, that would solve it, but as Dark wolf said, not everyone has sweet internet connections and or large caps/no caps, therefore disc is for now their preferred option.

I seem to remember reading way back about the Xbox One (well before we knew it's name anyway) disc's having an embedded chip in them that was read during the initial install that tied it to that console, and that was how the disc's could be left out of the machine. Of course this would need to be done while online for registration purposes, but it would have been a once off. The disc could not be installed on another console unless it was connected to the internet for said verification... Now that to me makes more sense, but it never came to fruition. I wonder if that could have worked?

Oh... And @ Saber...

"itwas going to be like pc games,one cheaper purchase"... I would have to challenge you on that one... With PC digital purchases there is competition, steam, green man etc... They HAVE to have better prices due to that competition or else they wouldn't survive, what competition would MS have had? I say we wouldn't have seen anywhere near the low prices you allude to... But that's just my opinion.

[quote user="IgotTFondabrain"]

there are those of us who own more than one game and like to switch between games quickly and efficiently without having to get up from our couches all the time to take the damn disc out and put a new one in.

why not include a single use code with each game disc sold to allow games to be installed and played straight from the HDD? that would make the disc drive last longer...

and single use codes could be generated at the point of sale where you buy the disc games...

[/quote]

Wow,   the hardships we all face.....  getting up from the couch..... whats next in this crazy world....