MS Drops The Ball

I don't expect a rookie maneuvar from one of the biggest tech companies on the planet. I can't even put all the problems and shortcomings in a support form, since it limits the text size lol. 7yrs I would expect baseline 360 features with additional new stuff, not a regression.

- Can't see battery life on controller, or hdd free space while madden records every clip under the sun temporarily to my hdd, amateur hour.

- I joined a party, why do I have to turn it on (and then it barely works) ? Rookie move.

- External usb support. ball dropped.

- Huge ball drop on not defaulting to the lowest common denominator audio codec and letting 360 and one users party or voice msg. Online network protocol is online network protocol. Don't segregate it like a whites only drinking fountain circa decades ago. It's just simply free marketing for you, and consistency of service. I can't even voice msg other xb1 users on release?? amateur move.

- No third party headset support on release? C'mon.

- Can't change Skype user once you set it up? This could've been done in a couple hours max. No reason for it to be left out.

- mid-game friends list view is too slow with multi clicks and loading.

Gonna be a solid console in a year but sadly atm most people would've been happier with a 360 architecture and hardware upgrades. The UX & QA people need to re-evaluate a lot of stuff.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

'Rookie', 'Rookie', 'Rookie move' 'Rookie'....

You keep using that word. I'm keen to see your High Definition entertainment console, as you are obviously such a pro.

I've been a software engineer for 15 yrs and I would be intimidated to work at MS. There's a lot of people there smarter than I'll ever be, so why do I think common sense was lost on some of this rollout?

Good man. Then you can no doubt sympathise with the pressure they would have been under to make it work out the box right? Most of your points are going to be fixed mate, if not all of them. They probably just played it safe for release. There is a lot of support to change things, and I'm sure they are aware of it.

Definitely, it will be good in a year. I just don't get in 3+ yrs, with an existing baseline architecture to go from, some of the most simple basic features are missing. That was my point, with a company at this size & specialization. I can't even turn controller vibration off at a system level, if the game doesn't include an option then I'm........... woops controller batteries died lol

MS was never the best at hardware design, as the combustible XBOX and 360 and its RRoD proved.  People should at least be able to expect good things from them on the software side however, despite Vista and Win8 :p. The software side of the X1 AND the hardware are a huge letdown however.  "Rookie" is quite appropriate I would say.  Especially after designing a system with the graphical staying power of the 360.  It's also a shame they seemingly did not have the design made in Japan again.  80's VHS player is not a great look in 2013.

Didn't MS have to pretty much start from scratch when they had to remove the DRM? I think that played a part in the lack of features we got on launch.

I'm not having any problems, maybe because I didn't expect the X1 to be perfect right out of the box. The X1 works for me, it plays games and I can watch TV. Those two things are the most important for me, the rest can wait, i'm sure MS will be rolling out a update soon.

[quote user="meeble"]

Definitely, it will be good in a year. I just don't get in 3+ yrs, with an existing baseline architecture to go from, some of the most simple basic features are missing. That was my point, with a company at this size & specialization. I can't even turn controller vibration off at a system level, if the game doesn't include an option then I'm........... woops controller batteries died lol

[/quote]Yeah, the more I play the more things I notice are missing. I love it though, and the fact that it's going to get better and better is exciting as hell. It's just in Vanilla stage right now. We still have strawberry to go before we reach Chocolate.

• The videos recorded are temporary files and will be deleted after a certain time or if HD space is limited to the last few recordings.
  • Yes there needs to be a way to manage storage, like the 360 had.  We need to see how much space is left, delete games easier (can be done now if press the used to be start button), and be able to delete game saves.
  • Battery life on controller hopefully will get addressed, it is weird it wasn't included since it was in the 360
  • Party system is a mess, just like the whole friends list is.  It will get fixed soon I hope.
  • What would you do with USB Support?  Right now you cant play music or video from anything other then purchased from the MS Store and storage for games and such isn't needed yet (not enough stuff out to fill the drive yet).
  • Skype is setup per user on the Xbox One, if multiple people use it, set up an account for them and they'll get their own Skype settings, then when Kinect or system knows you both using the console you both can use and receive Skype calls.
  • 3rd party head sets is an issue but PS4 also doesn't support them.  The connector on the controller is different and both companies are working on addressing that issue.

All these issues can be fixed and hopefully will be soon.  Some need to be fixed before others, like friends and party issues.  I have two other issues that one will never be addressed (since they ignored it since the 1st Xbox) and the other is a choice of theirs to ignore.  My other issues are:

• No streaming of media (music or video) like the 360 had.  Loved playing Forza to my own music instead of small bad selection of music included.
  • No defrag or HD utilities.  There needs to be a way to defrag and check the HD for errors, proof has been given since the 1st Xbox this was needed, but they don't care about it.  They know it is an issue, it is set up in Windows 95-8.1 by default to due at a scheduled time.

LOTW,

I get how the Skype works, I'm saying the acct I put in was my real name one. I'd prefer not to give that out to people on xbl to use, and it falls on me for not thinking about it longer before doing it. That being said, there is no way to change it, the faq on MS simply says set it to invisible and turn notifs off and yr set. I'm not, I want to sign out and into another account... can't.

I know the videos are stored temporarily, but theres no way to see how much space I have or a way to configure what gets recorded. Madden currently records everything that scores a point, as though I want to see the pick 6 I threw lol? When I'm getting low on space it would be nice to know or stop that from happening because it hits 0 and who knows what the console will do when it tries to write a tmp file or something.