MS collecting data for political ads on Xbox Live

The Washington Post is reporting that Microsoft officials were handing out promotional materials at a recent CPAC (political conservatives) convention to promote the idea of placing targeted political ads on the dashboard of Xbox Live. MS will use collected data from user ID's and other public sources to build a profile of Xbox users. Campaigns can then blast ads to selected demographic categories.

As you might expect, MS is getting hammered for this on the gaming sites.

Here's the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/07/microsoft-is-using-your-data-to-target-political-ads-on-xbox-live/

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Because I base my voting on adverts on my gaming console.

In reality this will have MS laughing all the way to the bank. There are no ads on the homescreen (except features which are always gaming bundles or movies), the only ads are in the store. I go to the store only looking to buy things, then I jump back out.

It's free money, I mean...I would take it when it has as little effect on the audience as this.

I think the idea is to replace one of the those gaming bundles or movie ads with a political one.

I reeeeeally don't want to see any of that crap.  

"Mitt Romney love Titanfall and he wants your vote!" Paid for by Romney2016.

Me either. I hope all the negative feedback MS is getting from this story will kill the project.

"Mike Huckabee powns noobs in Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Vote Huckabee 2016!!!"

Who comes up with these ideas at MS - Sony operatives?

Well, it should go hand in hand with government spying on all you via Kinect;  I don't think Oboma cares about us Canadians....  

-

It's a huge conspiracy.....   tinfoil hat ON!  (LOL, not TitanFall.... tinfoil)

Who care?  Ads are ads.

Remember when that noob rodeoed your Titan when you were too focused on the dropship? Mitt Romney remembers.