MS absuses DMC to eliminate competition

Interesting article here

Not gonna repeat the article, just read it. But, it raises some very valid points. And unlike Sonys case, from what can be seen so far, it looks like MS may lose this in court. MS's only defence is that things like the 3rd party Hard drives circumvent security procedures. But, as its eliminating compition maybe the courts might make them re-write the firmware? Dunno. I guess its all gonna boil down to how much truth is in what MS says.

Either way, if MS lose it means that we'd be allowed 3rd party hard drives etc.

Anyway, what do you guys think? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I remember that happening with the third party memory cards. They kinda blew their own 'security procedures' argument out of the water when they later released an update to make bog standard USB sticks usable with the 360 (but at the same time they killed the need to use only MS branded memory cards so in some ways it balances out)

Seem to remember reading too that no third party joy pads are allowed to be wireless which is why any new controllers that hit the market made by anybody other than MS are wired

Seeing how you still have to format any additional Storage like USB devices to the size limits and file structure set out for the 360, even if the court forced MS to allow third party HDs to be used no doubt the limit would remain at 250gb so you could have a TB drive downloading media off LIVE or Games installations.....MS will find a way to profit from the ruling

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]

Seeing how you still have to format any additional Storage like USB devices to the size limits and file structure set out for the 360, even if the court forced MS to allow third party HDs to be used no doubt the limit would remain at 250gb so you could have a TB drive downloading media off LIVE or Games installations.....MS will find a way to profit from the ruling

[/quote]

Limit on what? USB flash drive or HDD?

A USB flash drive is capped at 16GB and I'm not sure if there is an actual limit of a HDD as the Elite had 120GB, Slim has 250GB and the new Gears 3 special edition console has a 320GB HDD. Or maybe Microsoft doesn't think that people want to have a HDD of more than 250GB or 320GB, that's why they haven't made any.

If they cap USB drives the same process can be used for third party HDs....just cap the size at 250GB and then release a MS branded one of a higher size if need be. MS always know what they are doing, they prepare to be caught out and ride the waves till then...MS is like Water.....in the end, Water always wins

You can use use any size drive you want on the 360 provided it is formatted as HFS+ or NTFS. However the format used by the 360 for memory is patented.

I'm no expert on law, but surely if they lose this case then they can only cap it if they stick to the cap themselves. If they break the cap, all other manufacturers can as well.

[quote user="Lavindathar"]

I'm no expert on law, but surely if they lose this case then they can only cap it if they stick to the cap themselves. If they break the cap, all other manufacturers can as well.

[/quote]

Yeah, I would think so.

But let's say for example third parties are capped at 250GB and Microsoft can have 500GB. Who would actually get the 500GB Microsoft HDD which  would be massively overpriced whereas you would probably get the third party 250GB HDD for way cheaper.

Wouldn't a 250GB HDD be enough for you guys anyway? I mean you can only store Game Installs, DLCs, Arcade Games, themes and MP3 files etc.

If you have the money to burn, a decent sized SSD would be nice.

I thought you could buy movies and keep them on your HD too?

Whether its enough to have 250gb surely depends on how much longer MS drag out this iteration of the Xbox. I managed to get my 120 gb down to 15 gb remaining recently. That was with only about 4 games installed, and a load of DLC for games. I removed a lot of map packs and dlc that I didn't really want to remove to make more space.

If they drag the 360 out for another 3 years I will easily fill my HD in that time probably more than once too.

[quote user="voteDC"]

You can use use any size drive you want on the 360 provided it is formatted as HFS+ or NTFS. However the format used by the 360 for memory is patented.

[/quote]You mean FAT32 or NFS+

NTFS doesn't work.