Moving UK to Canada

Hello,

I'm preparing to move from the UK to Canada. I have a LOT of games as well as my PAL 360 that I've had since 2006.

I am well aware of the various region-coding issues I will face. 

What is the best option for me? As it stands, my PAL 360 and a voltage convertor seems most practical, as the 360 is nearing the end of its lifespan and I can continue to import PAL games until the end of this generation. If I were to buy a second, NTSC console (or indeed, just bring my hard drive with me and then recover my gamertag onto an NTSC 360) I would be saying goodbye to a lot of games that were never released in the NTSC region. 

I've seen elsewhere in similar posts that the official advice is to just 'create another gamertag' which I absolutely will not do.  I haven't played for six years to just throw it all away.

Any input is welcomed.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

well you could just use a converter for the Xbox and order all of your games either region free or in PAL format.

If you just  use a converter for Xbox 360 you could play all of your games

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you don't end up creating a new account then you will not be able to do a lot of things this includes:

Purchasing Microsoft Points
Renewing your membership
Purchasing certain games using existing points on the account due to regional restrictions
If you delete something off of your hard drive, once your in Canada you won't be able to re-download certain content that is region locked (no way to know which content is or isn't)

These are just a few of the reasons why they actually ask that you make a new account.

As far as your XBOX 360 you will need to get a new power supply as your UK power supply will not work in Canada they are totally different voltages and that can cause problems for the console and the power supply if you try to use a converter. 

And you've got the games portion already covered if you intend on getting games imported (mind you, you may have issues with DLC content for those games) 

Sorry this didn't help.

Do North American Live/Points card codes really not work on a European system? What if I just redeem them through the Live website instead?

It's ridiculous they want people to make a new account. You don't encourage people to become really attached to their account with achievements and avatar stuff and then expect them to just throw it all away, especially in a system that actively encourages you to play with people from all over the world.

Voltage stuff I have no problem with. As I said above, I know how they work and have one here for my childhood Genesis to let it run on 220v UK power.

Would love an answer from an Xbox representative.

Sorry this didn't help.

The XBOX isn't the issue (only an issue with the games that you've already said you'd import)

The issue is that you have an account that was originally created in the UK and won't be in the same region that you are now moving to (Canada), so if you switch credit cards and billing information you won't be able to buy points from XBOX.com or the console because you will not be able to complete a transaction as the billing information won't match because you cannot switch the country on an XBOX Live account once it's been created.

The only way you'd be able to get Microsoft Points would be if you purchased them from an online retailer or had someone purchase them for you in the UK so you could use them on the account, same with XBOX Live renewal.

There are different point values for Canada and the United Kingdom in terms of XBOX Live points and if there is a region mismatch on the account (UK point cards will not work on Canadian accounts and visa versa)

You can take a look at the different point values for each region where cards are sold here as Microsoft Points and XBOX Live Subscription cards are region locked.

But again, you will have issues with certain DLC and content downloads as your region will not match.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've just seen this thread: forums.xbox.com/.../777565.aspx

And so, you're right. The whole thing is compete BS. Whether I take my old console with me or not, my current account will still exist with everything that I've paid for on it, and if the Xbox 720 comes out and I want to use my account on that... I won't be able to! It'll still be a UK account on a Canadian 720 and I'll still be screwed.

MS could easily allow you to change whichever region you're in on the proviso that you might lose access to some downloaded content, that would almost be fine compared to the current situation. Six years membership and over one hundred games, down the drain. Lovely.

(oh, and I don't have any credit card details entered on my account any more... several friends got hacked in further testament to MS' incompetence)

Thanks for the info, Hassassinade.

Sorry this didn't help.