Most games 720p?

I was reading this article earlier, and was surpised to find that most games apparently use 720p instead of 1080. Why do games read HDTV 720p/1080i/1080p on the back? Does it mean they support HDTVs with these resolutions, rather than actually having them as native resolutions?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

As far as I'm aware, the 360 has a hardware upscaler built into it. So all games will display at 1080/720 (basically what ever you're TV can cope with) hence the display info on the back of the game box

Very few games are natively 1080p, COD for example was 600p (I think it was 1024x600, although maybe wrong) as a 1080p game would a lot of work for the graphics chipset (which is 6+ years old) etc..

Just means they can be upscaled to those.

Same as on the PS3 as well (IIRC). MGS online was 600p as was GTAIV

The only games I remember that are in 1080p native are Pirates of the Caribbean and Portal on XBLA.

[quote user="zfair899"]

These days you're lucky if you can get a console game running at a decent framerate at 720p. I think Wipeout on PS3 runs at 1440 x 1080 at a silky smooth framerate but there are hardly any other games that do.

[/quote]

That is not full 1080p

1080p is 1920x1080.

No.

I posted a list last time this came up. The figures are pretty similar for PS3 too.

These days you're lucky if you can get a console game running at a decent framerate at 720p. I think Wipeout on PS3 runs at 1440 x 1080 at a silky smooth framerate but there are hardly any other games that do.

I don't think there are any big retail releases on xbox that run at 1080p. I actually wish more games would just settle for sub HD just so the games could run smoothly. Playing InFamous right now and it's choppy as hell.

I guess some things like  photos in games are in hd 1080p or sequences.

Main games seem to be below 1080p very often ,

It's interesting when you look at the 1080p games. No Gears of War or Killzones or Uncharted. It's all far lower tech games like Fifa Street and Pixeljunk etc.

Most games run at 720p/1080i as native resolutions, but they are upscaled to 1080p if your TV can handle it.

*As a side note, I pretty sure that Microsoft changes the rules; a retail game does not have to be HD anymore.

yes, did u not no that,, just look on the back of every PS3 game, it says in box that 720p res, most games that the highest we get , some aint even that high