Monitor Flickering

I currently use my Xbox 360 (Halo Reach Console) with a Dell ST2320L Monitor and hook it up via HDMI.  However, I've noticed that when I turn my light off or my bathroom fan off that my monitor will go black for about 2-3 seconds, and then come back to normal.  I would also notice that when my tenants used their television downstairs, my monitor would do the exact same thing, except more frequently.  My monitor used to have this issue before when hooked up to my computer, but I've since purchased an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) and my monitor stopped having the "flickering" issues when I turned my light or fan off when it's connected to my computer.  When I use my Xbox, I plug it into my UPS, but the monitor still goes dark for 2-3 seconds when I turn my light off or my fan off.  I've tried nearly every single plausible outlet in my home, and everytime I turn my light off or my bathroom fan, my monitor still goes dark for 2-3 seconds.  I suspect that it might have to do with the wiring in my house, the amount of energy my Xbox requires to run, or perhaps something is wrong with my Xbox.  Is there any solution for this problem?  I'd prefer not to restrict using my Xbox for when my tenants aren't home.  Thanks for any help anyone can provide :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 21 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey OP, this definitely sounds like an issue with the electrical current you're plugging into. The easiest way to make sure it's not the Xbox 360 would be to try it at a friend's house on one of their displays. Can you give this a go, and report back here?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response.  I tried plugging my Xbox 360 into an outlet at my friend's and I turned some things on and off (lights, fans, etc.) and nothing happened with my Xbox.  I'm fairly certain that it has something to do with the wiring in my house, but is there any product I can purchase to regular the power in order to stop the flickering or maintain a constant voltage to my Xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is actually something you can buy. There are devices called UPSs (uninterruptable power supply), which are units you plug into the wall socket which then supply power to other devices. It's basically a smart battery which lets you ride out any short term problems with the mains supply, such as voltage drops/spikes ect. A decent domestic one with added surge protection will start at around $150, but it really depends how much you want to spend. Remember to read online reviews and seek professional advice before you buy. Oh, and avoid anything made by "Monster".

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="PegasusStrike"]I've since purchased an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) and my monitor stopped having the "flickering" issues when I turned my light or fan off when it's connected to my computer.  When I use my Xbox, I plug it into my UPS, but the monitor still goes dark for 2-3 seconds when I turn my light off or my fan off.[/quote]Is your monitor plugged into a battery-backed UPS outlet or a surge suppressed UPS outlet? Is your UPS showing voltage fluctuations when you turn on/off the light and fan?

If the monitor is not on a battery-backed UPS outlet, try that first. You should also install whatever monitoring software your UPS came with and see what it's showing when you turn on/off the light and fan.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, I re-read the original post and saw that you already own a UPS, so feel free to ignore my last message. Try Icestorm's suggestions first as it is a bit unclear what is plugged into the UPS.

Also to clarify, is your house supplied on single phase or 3-phase power? Is this supply problem endemic to your area or just your house? If just the house then you could try hireing an electrician to fix what's going wrong. It'll be costly but the problem with get solved at its source.

Sorry this didn't help.

My monitor and Xbox are plugged into my UPS whenever I play, but it will still flicker whenever the fan or light is turned off, and still flicker when my tenants watch television.  I'm currently using an APC Power Saving Back-UPS 750 and it's hooked up to my computer via USB port.  I've tried fiddling around a bit to see if my computer can register if there's a voltage fluctuation whenever I turn off a fan or my light, but haven't been able to find it so far.  I've also tried plugging the USB into my Xbox as well, but that doesn't seem to do anything.  My UPS is capable of running my computer and Xbox (although I try to avoid this), and I haven't had any notifications from the program on my computer regarding any fluctuations.

I have no idea if my house is supplied on a single phase or 3-phase power.  I really think it has something to do with the wiring in my house, but I feel like that would be much more expensive than if I purchased something to monitor/regulate my voltage.  Even though my UPS cost me $100 and was supposed to do the job, it doesn't seem capable of handling it when my monitor is hooked up to my Xbox.  Are there any other products that I should be looking at?  Thanks again for all your responses so far guys

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="PegasusStrike"]My monitor and Xbox are plugged into my UPS whenever I play, but it will still flicker whenever the fan or light is turned off,[/quote]No, that's not supposed to happen if your devices are on the battery-backed outlets.

Your UPS has two rows of outlets. One has a single outlet boundaried by a line and labled Master. The second row has three outlets labeled "Controlled by Master". Make sure your montior is on the row with the outlet labeled Master, and not on the other row.

[quote]I've also tried plugging the USB into my Xbox as well, but that doesn't seem to do anything.[/quote]It won't. The 360 won't know how to communicate with the UPS.[quote]Are there any other products that I should be looking at?[/quote]First make sure your monitor is on a battery-backed outlet. If it is, pull the power plug on the UPS and see if it stays on or the UPS dies right away. A UPS that fails right away indicates there's a problem with the battery or the transfer from wall to battery power.

Beyond that, you can get a rather pricey online UPS. Online UPSes always power devices from battery. They're pretty expensive.

Sorry this didn't help.

My monitor and Xbox are always plugged into the row labelled, "Battery Protection + Surge Protection," which is on the row with the Master outlet.

I just took the plug of my UPS out of the wall and everything is running fine still.  I know this UPS is supposed to be able to regulate the voltage, but I would love it if there was some other product that could just regulate the voltage to my systems as my UPS already has the backup power supply covered.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's not a good sign. Have you tried setting your UPS to high voltage fluctuation sensitivity? The procedure is on page 6 of the manual.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've changed my UPS to the highest setting possible in terms of voltage fluctuation manually on the UPS and also through the computer application and neither is working when I turn my light off or my fan.  I haven't had time to play on my Xbox while my tenants are at home or watching television, but my guess is that it still won't fix the issues that I'm having.

Sorry this didn't help.