Modding a save file for a game... repercussions?

Ok... So my question is if I altered a save file for a game (specifically Mass Effect 3) what would happen?

All I want to do is upload the save game to my pc, change the appearance of my character (many of those who play ME3 will know what I mean) and zip it back to my Xbox.

I do NOT intend to alter ANYTHING for online multiplay, only for my personal use.

SO: If I did this, would I get banned? Suspended? Would Xbox even care/how would they know??? Thanks everybody.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

[quote user="MrFleshCage TS3"]Ok... So my question is if I altered a save file for a game (specifically Mass Effect 3) what would happen?[/quote]What you describe is considered system tampering. System tampering is prohibited as per the Terms of Use. Discussion of system tampering is against the forum Code of Conduct.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

We had this very discussion on the Mass Effect 3 board ME3 Lazarus Project: Fans fix the faces - Mass Effect 3.

Mister Darcy of the Support team gave an official reply, which I shall repost here.

[quote user="Mister Darcy"]

I just wanted to jump in here and confirm that modification of any software is against the Terms of Use as well as the Code of Conduct. Please keep in mind that such violations can result in a suspension:

"You must not attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware associated with the Service or with an Authorized Device."

"Some offenses warrant an immediate permanent suspension, including without limitation: hacking, modding, fraud, severe racial remarks, nudity on the Xbox LIVE Vision camera or Kinect camera, repeated creation of inappropriate gamertags or profile content, or posting viruses or URLs to viruses"

Any further discussion about this will result in the thread being locked. Thank you for your cooperation.

[/quote]So essentially if you value your account at all, don't try the face fix.

Sorry this didn't help.

If this is for the face import problem for ME2 chars that came over from ME1, I didn't seem to have any problems. I started ME3 in late April. There have been a couple Title Updates since March.

Sorry this didn't help.

vote DC hit the nail right on the head and you ask how will Microsoft even know. Well besides the fact that you just posted it on thier forums that they monitor. They have the vulcan. Anf if you don't know what that is.................

http://youtu.be/y5-YWjA1b8E

Sorry this didn't help.

"If this is for the face import problem for ME2 chars that came over from ME1, I didn't seem to have any problems. I started ME3 in late April. There have been a couple Title Updates since March."

-

It is for that issue Icestorm. Bioware's fix was less than accurate for a great many people, the fan made fix the OP is talking about gets a lot better results.

-

Of course you can't use it on the 360 without risking a ban. It's foolish of Bioware/EA to allow the information for 360 modding to remain on their forum to be honest.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok well thanks for your help. I already knew that it'd be a ToU violation, I was only curious if it'd be something that would get me banned. Because I hate playing with a different Shepard. OK, I guess I have to hold out hope that Bioware will fix the problem themselves... ugh.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to tell you Flesh but Bioware now consider this problem fixed with their last patch, so it is unlikely that they are ever going to go back and try anything else.

Sorry this didn't help.