might just be craziest enough to work! new xbox old hard drive

Is it possible to use an old Xbox 360 hard drive with the new Xbox 360 S?  I had a hard drive failure on my 250GB aftermarket hard drive (surprise!) where I can still access my stuff but I can't go online and download the new system update.  It also won't recognize a flash drive or blank CD for some reason.  Can I use the transfer cable and my old 120GB hard drive as a temporary external hard drive?  Or do I have to complete the transfer and use my old Elite for now?

I know it's a hard drive problem because that's what the status code translates to on the xbox.com support page here.

Update Failed Status code:

3524 - 0000 - 3080 - 0506 - D000 - 0185

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

[quote user="CooterMcDizz285"]I had a hard drive failure on my 250GB aftermarket hard drive[/quote]There are no authorized third party HDDs for the 360 console. Unauthorized upgrades are prohibited as per the Terms of Use.[quote]Can I use the transfer cable and my old 120GB hard drive as a temporary external hard drive?[/quote]No. The Transfer Cable device can only be used to Copy or Move data to/from the attached drive. The console does not see it as a valid device for any other purpose.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

well i'm not trying to do anything illegal here, just trying to get some answers on a temp fix while i go get a legit hard drive.  but that would def explain the error, so thanks for pointing that out!  had no idea the hard drive needed authorization from microsoft, as the offbranders obviously don't market their items as "Unauthorized Product."

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.