Microsoft: We will Triple Kinect Portfolio before End of year

Microsoft aiming to significantly bolster Kinect line-up by the end of the year; showing new games at E3.

Following its success in April's NPD report, Microsoft has said that it will triple its Kinect games portfolio by the end of the year. According to the company, the Xbox 360 has been the top-selling console in the US for ten out of the previous 11 months.

Microsoft noted the strong performance of its current Kinect games, with Kinect Sports selling in excess of three million units worldwide to date, and Dance Central selling over two and a half million.

"In anticipation of another record year in 2011," the company said. "Microsoft announced the size of the Kinect games portfolio will triple by the end of the year."

Speaking to Joystiq, Microsoft product manager David Dennis said: “We’ve seen some of the media start to ask the question, ‘When are we going to see more Kinect games coming?’ As we sat there and looked at it we realized we’ve got a lot of games coming and we’re going to show a lot of them at E3."

“We know that the [core audience] took Xbox and made it the home for core games," he added, "whether they’re first-party games or third-party games. We would certainly never leave that audience behind. So for us and for Phil [Spencer] and the folks over at MGS, it’s not about depriorizing one or the other. It’s about how we go big on any and all: Go big on Kinect games; go big on core games.”

Microsoft also claimed that total retail spend on its hardware, software and accessories during the month was $310 million, stating that it was "still the highest among current generation consoles."

Source = http://www.next-gen.biz/news/kinect-portfolio-set-to-triple

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Too little too late? absurd.

Were you around when the 360 came out? We had whole swathes of posts bemoaning the lack of titles beyond the launch games for MONTHS.

How many who bought Kinect on Launch still have the device??

Not only did it not launch with a good number of games to support it, but nothing has been released after it either...I know most of the people I know with the device either have returned it, sold it on or its packed away gathering dust

I was around when the 360 was launched, I gave it a year before i picked one up for that very reason, no worth while titles to get for it. But then it did...but customers are more fickle and lack the patience of yesteryear.......am looking forward to seeing what games will be released in 2011 for it, hoping it gets an official price reduction by end of 2011 and not just retailers dropping it as a quick discount

You cant even compare the 360 launch to kinect launch. One was a gaming console and the other was a peripheral. To launch a peripheral with barely no support (even months down the line) is just not acceptable. But its still got loads of potential right? lol

Potential it has.....time frame to make use of that potential is ebbing away

Well, there is always Avatar Kinect??

I read this article on Gamespot earlier today.

Good news for Kinect owners or anyone considering purchasing.

Gunstringer is getting some favourable pre-release talk, despite it's 'cutesy' graphics.

Can't wait for Child of Eden - my next Kinect must-buy.

More Kinect please MS.....

Can't wait for some more details about Chromehounds.

[quote user="TIDY BOY JAMI"]

You cant even compare the 360 launch to kinect launch. One was a gaming console and the other was a peripheral. To launch a peripheral with barely no support (even months down the line) is just not acceptable. But its still got loads of potential right? lol

[/quote]

Because there are 100s of games that are compatible with "big button", "xbox live vision camera" and "dance mats"? Huh?

I think what Kinect needs is quality not quantity. There are a couple of really good titles, and a ton of shovelware already.

Looking forward to seeing "Child of Eden" and "Steel Battalion" but still waiting for a killer app.

[quote user="Majikthise"]

[quote user="TIDY BOY JAMI"]

[/quote]

Because there are 100s of games that are compatible with "big button", "xbox live vision camera" and "dance mats"? Huh?

I think what Kinect needs is quality not quantity. There are a couple of really good titles, and a ton of shovelware already.

Looking forward to seeing "Child of Eden" and "Steel Battalion" but still waiting for a killer app.

[/quote]

Not quite sure where you are coming from, you basically just agreed with me but tried making sound like you disagree.

Not having a go, just thought it was an odd thing to say.

More having a go at the total lack of support MS gives to any new peripheral and pointing out that it's not unusual!

lol. I know you wasn't having a go man, You cant have been as you said the exact same thing as i was pointing out. Kinect is peripheral.