Microsoft wants your PS3?

In US Microsoft Store they're offering $100 for those that trade in their working PS3 though it can also be Xbox 360 models too.

-

What made me wonder is why Microsoft would want PS3s? Reuse the Blu-ray Players in PS3s for Xbox One?

-

I've got a PS3 60GB (PS2-BC) and a PS3 250GB Slim and I'm keeping both of them for different reasons (PS2-BC is awesome) so even if this were available in UK I wouldn't trade it in.

-

P.S.: I don't really want this to turn to a console war topic or be locked asap but rather try to understand what's their purpose behind getting PS3s.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Quite simply it is to get you to break with the Playstation brand. They don't want you to have a Microsoft and a Sony console, they want you to be putting all your gaming money into Microsoft's pocket.

-

As to what will happen to the PS3s. I'd hope they'd be recycled but I expect they'll end up in landfill.

Prob going to sell them on to make money. Maybe they have a certain part in there that MS require?

My bet is that they are trying to get people to not follow the natural prtogression as most people seem to have stayed loyal to the brand they had last gen. So in getting people to swap their ps3 for a XO they wont swap it for a ps4

As Vote says break brand loyalty and attract new customers to Xbox,  I doubt very much it's because they need the parts .

I like the way in the add it says .... "Ditch your PS3" ... lol

Its because they are that desperate to get customers seeing as a lot of them fled to another platform, Who would want to stick with a company because of ' Loyalty ' ? I certainly didn't and I had both xbox and xbox 360 but this new gen I have moved on to better worlds without pay walls. Seems so did others lol

It's a Us offer and they certainly aren't desperate in the US as both the 360 and the One outsold Sony products in December which is no surprise in the native market.

I think it's got a lot more to do with tit fot rat marketing after aggressive Sony campaigns last year when they targeted the One over COD resolution. They have no concerns selling an American product over an Asian one in the good ole USA.

Playstation does have a paywall now though. Even if it's a really good paywall.

[quote user="VaporingTrout"]Playstation does have a paywall now though. Even if it's a really good paywall.[/quote]Online play is locked behind PSN+ but everything else is still free to regular users.

Sony aren't locking the apps, YouTube for example, behind the PSN+ subscription. 

I dont actually see the big deal in this promotion. Seems like a smart business move. If I still had a PS3 I wouldnt trade it in though, I like keeping my , old stuff around.

I will buy a cheap one at some point just to play the Last of Us.