Microsoft replacing Xbox 360’s not compatible with new Firmware Update

The unreleased Spring update for the Xbox 360 is right already causing problems.  It seems some Xbox owners are going to need a hardware update in order to take advantage of the new firmware.

Microsoft has begun emailing users that they have detected through Xbox Live will have incompatible systems for the update.  Microsoft writes in these emails that these users can have their current Xbox 360 replaced with a brand new Xbox 360 S with a 250GB hard drive along with a year of Xbox Live, all for FREE.  Talk about customer service.

The reason a new system is that new firmware will be required is due to the new disc format that MS is releasing for Xbox 360.  The new discs have one extra Gigabyte of data for developers to use for game space.  Certain models have DVD drives that will not accept the update and will not be able to play new retail game discs without it.

For those who aren’t aware of the improvements of the Xbox 360 S models, besides much larger memory, the system now has the Wi-Fi adapter built-in, a sleek and smaller design, along with more power-conservative components and extra vents to prevent over heating and the Red Ring of Death.

While Microsoft doesn’t detail how users will redeem their replacement after contacting them, it’s safe to assume that those affected users will have to send in their old systems to MS.  Much like when getting a repair job for the system, the user will get to keep their current hard drive.  Unfortunately, the old hard drives are not compatible with the new systems, so users will either have to back up their data to a USB device before shipping off the ‘Box, or purchase the transfer kit ($20) when they get in their new box.  Still, that’s a small price to pay considering the free hardware upgrade and a free year of Xbox Live (a $350 value).

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 58 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is this confirmed as I know they did something in May similar to this with ap25, if it is then great news as my xbox has been done in by this new update so doesnt bode well for a new dash...

however my sons xbox is fine and still plays all his games, the only reason we habent already upgraded mine to a slim (to match the telly and other nice black things) is that sometimes i take my hard drive and play on sons xbox if the wife wont let me control the tv.. so this will no longer ne possible as hd's are not compatible, well i suppose i could transfer game data and profile with a usb then?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So what news outlet did you get this from?

The only replacement program was for an update PRIOR to the new copy protection scheme update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Where was this information?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think she just found the old article about this online and neglected to read the date that it was issued.

Sorry this didn't help.

@onyx62, it clearly states @ the top of the article that it was released in spring (May 2011 to be exact). The fact remains that I have 2 1st generations 360's and 1 arcade bundle 360 that in the matter of 30 days after playing the GOW3 the firmware that was updated to all 3 consoles was not compatible w/ the new disc format of GOW3 (a lot of content packed on the disc) It disrupted all 3 of my disc drives (not a coincidence). I've been in touch w/ microsoft they are aware of this and after 1-2 hrs of troubleshooting and fussing on the ph. I'm waiting to get email letting me know whether they'll be replacing it for free. I'll keep u posted on how that goes. To everyone else it is confirmed. Do some research on an xbox user Avery Penn who received a authentic email from xbox support (he also posted it for us to view) clearly stating that they are aware of this issue and will be replacing older consoles. I will keep u updated.

Sorry this didn't help.

And the articles that reference Avery Penn are wrong. They assume that in the letter MS is referring to the updated firmware that came out to support the upcoming new disc format. The letter isn't referring to that. It's referring to a previous update as I linked to in my previous post.

Your comments don't make a lot of sense. Did you play Gears of War 3 on any of your consoles?

You may have an issue, but it's not the one Avery Penn's mail is about.

Sorry this didn't help.

kotaku.com/.../does-the-xbox-360s-new-disc-format-not-work-with-some-older-consoles

please cut and paste the above link into your web browser and make your own judgement. Im not here to argue back in forth w/ you or anyone for that matter, just to provide a wealth of information to people whom maybe experiencing the same affects as my family. We have a total of 5 xboxes in our home and on the 3 consoles we played  GOW3 on (within 1wk of each one the game would not recognize any disc we put in there. Affter doing soo me research I see ooothherr people are have the same (not simular) -issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Look at Update 3 on the Kotaku article.

It says the same thing I've said three times now - the DVD drive firmware issue and console replacements were for an update prior to the new format update.

As of now, there's no issue with the new disc format and any DVD drive firmware on any console. 

[quote user="Rocketgirl86"]on the 3 consoles we played  GOW3 on (within 1wk of each one the game would not recognize any disc we put in there.[/quote]That's called your DVD drive wearing out. It's the second most common problem with a 360 after RRoD. Always install games to the HDD before playing.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Rocketgirl86"]The unreleased Spring update for the Xbox 360 is right already causing problems.  It seems some Xbox owners are going to need a hardware update in order to take advantage of the new firmware.

Microsoft has begun emailing users [...][/quote]

Perhaps the people trying to discuss your post are confused right from the beginning-- I know I was. You say "unreleased Spring update", and "has begun emailing users", but then it seems like you're talking about the news in May that Microsoft had emailed people about an earlier update's issue. The current "unreleased" update in Public Preview is the Fall update (because it is autumn here in the northern hemisphere, where Microsoft is based).

There certainly are a lot of user reports about problems reading the discs of new game releases (Gears 3, Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim). But it seems like you're tying together various reports in a confusing way, and we're having trouble parsing your argument.

Sorry this didn't help.

@DannoMck, I understand where ur coming from and how my information and/or sources may be tied up together and confusing. I'm not a computer wiz nor am I tech-savy, but I know after playing the GOW3 disc on 3 of my consoles, the consoles would not read ANY disc after that. The 2nd console we ONLY played GOW3 on it and 1 wk after that it went up. The third console never had the rrod or needed repair. 1 wk after playing gears the same "Open Tray" display. I believe the GOW3 is not compatible w/ the older 360 consoles.

Sorry this didn't help.