Microsoft "The Sting"

Just had my xbox live membership auto renewed

Was told last week that it would be renewed at 40% discount if I kept it on auto renewal and paid through paypal (via Xbox chat)

Not true

I checked today (renewal date) to see I had been charged full price

Called Microsoft (via chat) and told it was correct

If I had known this and not been told a lie in the first place I could have shopped around for a better price, but as it has already renewed, I did not have time to cancel and pay by another method

Feels like I have suffered a Microsoft "sting" especially as my account said "Gold 40% discount paid by paypal on auto renewal"

Initially said I was considering going for the PS4 this Xmas but when I was told the discount would be applied for live it just swung it for me to go for the Xbox One instead

Feel very let down and closed the auto renew immediately

Rant over, but feel bitter now towards the money grabbing tactics used in this instance

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Were you chatting with a support agent or an ambassador?

If it was an ambassador, they do not work for Microsoft or Xbox and have no say in the prices.

If it was a support agent, do you still have the chat log?  Do you have a reference number?  If you have the reference number for the conversation (which is provided for every conversation) call support again and reference that number.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It sounds like you were already on the 40% off 12-Month Gold Membership.  That's a promotion.  It only lasts for the first cycle, then reverts to full price for the following cycle.  Sorry someone told you it would stay on the promotional price.  I would call up Xbox Customer Support by phone, talk to their billing department, maybe their membership team, see what they can do to help out.

Sorry this didn't help.

It was with a support agent and they did find the previous transcript, and yes they said I should have had the discount. But when the agent went to confirm, they said the previous agent had made a mistake and would still have to pay the full price.

What gets me is that I could have had it cheaper if I had known they were going to charge me full price with an auto renewal.

Just have to live with it I suppose, they must be strapped for cash.

I have learned a lesson and will not fall for it again.

Will keep it on for another year and after that they may well lose my long serving custom.

Not been the first time I have had problems with my account, and doubt it will be my last.

Thanks for the advice though

Sorry this didn't help.