Microsoft, please tell me how the XIM3 is legit?

So Microsoft, you're telling me it's legal for someone to purchase a third party device which allows them to use their computer mouse and keyboard while playing a video game such as Battlefield Bad Company 2 and other games on the Xbox 360 console?

I was aware that "anything giving a player an unfair advantage" isn't allowed, and a keyboard and mouse vs. a controller is absolutely an unfair advantage.

Treyarch understands this easily and banned the use of it in their game (Call of Duty Black Ops), for obvious reasons.

Now if someone from Microsoft can respond in this, please do. Because it makes absolutely zero sense that this third-party device which fools the Xbox 360 into thinking you're using a gamepad so you can use your keyboard and mouse and have a highly unfair advantage against other players is somehow allowed.

Discussion Info

Last updated September 2, 2018 Views 37 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You shouldn't be able to use a mouse and keyboard for any game on the Xbox 360. That's obviously against the Terms of Use.

You are filing complaint against these users, correct?

It wouldn't give you that much of an advantage anyway, this isn't true keyboard and mouse support.

All the device does is convert keyboard and mouse input into that of a controller. This means that you are still limited to what a controller can do in the game.

[quote user="voteDC"]

It wouldn't give you that much of an advantage anyway, this isn't true keyboard and mouse support.

All the device does is convert keyboard and mouse input into that of a controller. This means that you are still limited to what a controller can do in the game.

[/quote]

Um, actually it does give you "much of an advantage". Have you ever played PC games? Used a mouse instead of a joystick?

You're either a dunce or use a XIM3 and are trying to cover.

If you really don't think there's an accuracy difference between a joystick and a mouse, you're stupid.

Ok. Let's avoid the insults, alright? They're not needed at all concerning the topic at hand.

Regardless, if you encounter users that are breaking the Terms of Use, such as using unauthorized controllers as you mentioned, file a complaint against the user via your console.

[quote user="Penndemic"]

Um, actually it does give you "much of an advantage". Have you ever played PC games? Used a mouse instead of a joystick?

You're either a dunce or use a XIM3 and are trying to cover.

If you really don't think there's an accuracy difference between a joystick and a mouse, you're stupid.

[/quote]I am a PC gamer and know very much the differences between the two systems.

I stand by what I've said, it does not give you that much of an advantage because to the game you are not using a keyboard and mouse, the game and console still believe you to be using a controller.

This means that you are not going to be able to move the crosshair across the screen as quickly as you would on a PC game, you are only going to be moving it as quickly as the console and game settings would allow a controller to do so.

Now as I said it wouldn't give much of an advantage, not that it wouldn't give any. There would definitely be an accuracy advantage, though this is off-set by the loss of smoothness of motion, as the analogue stick would be mapped to WASD.

I do not own one of the devices in question, because as noted I can game on my PC if I wish to use a keyboard and mouse. 

Yeah, but it's like putting a pole on your thumbstick. You can make much more precise movements. I'm a proponent of MS making their own mouse for the 360. I think the reason Xim 3 users aren't getting banned is that it's not popular. People like me won't buy some gimmick. I want a real Xbox mouse to go along with a new dashboard. I'm Kinectless :( Just put Windows on my TV plz. Then, no more laptop heating up my legs. Beat the others consoles to market with the Xbox Mouse. The stores will be sold out^^          Sony who? Nintendo what?

It's gonna happen one day. I'm just waiting.

@voteDC, I watched the demo video on the XIM3 website just now. I have to fast forward through some of it because it is kind of boring. But that kind of precise custimization of the aiming reticle. That would make a huge difference in gameplay. I do recall seeing another video on youtube right after MW2 came out. It was using the same technology and that was a definite advantage to whoever used it. This may describe some weird games some of my friends have had lately in Halo Reach.

There are no rules for PC gamers to not use any of their tricks that MS allows them to use. MS even gives PC gamers special tools to get that advantage and they are playing in MP games along with us controller players. You have been given a bundle of crap MS supports cheaters its big money in the gaming world all MS needed to do if they really did not want PC users to have any advantage was to not allow USB ports in the 360 this way no PC can be use to boost their 360 into something powerful than yours …reason why a few are handy with getting advantages over us in games and many have no glue is an advantage in of it self…..deal with it or become a cheater yourself.

What voteDC has stated is both true and correct. All Third Party Devices that represent a Mouse/ Keyboard Support are simply emulating the "action" from the Users End. They are not a True M/K Support and can only perform as well as or more accurately less than an Official Xbox 360 Controller.

Here is why. The "emulator" needs to take the time to Convert the signal from the User to the Input of the Xbox 360 Controller. This takes more time then the Controller itself. In short, it's a gimmick only fooling the l33t. The Xbox 360 has no Drivers or Mouse/ keyboard Support and everything developed for it is done so with the Xbox 360 Controller at Default. This means in short, every Game itself is missing the Software required for a M/K Support.

Game-play and Controls are written from the ground up for each individual Platform and no "aftermarket" or Third Party Device will ever change that.

IMHO Keyboard has more buttons, it can be pre-programmed to press a different combination of buttons in sequence to accomplish different task / action.