Microsoft - Having to pay to prove my identity is wrong, especially if I've already proven it this year.

I am the owner of 3 xbox 360 consoles and all of a sudden my son's account stopped working.  I had to sign in as the adult but it wouldn't let me until I proved I was an adult.  As long as my son't account is linked to an account that Microsoft autocharges for XBox live subscription every year, I shouldn't have to pay anything to prove who i am.  Why did I have to do this? I went through the exact same thing this past summer except I didn't have to pay to get his account unlocked.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The new age verification process was implemented as part of Microsoft's ongoing compliance with COPPA (Child Online Privacy Protection Act), which now requires verified adult consent for businesses to gather information from children.  A common means of verifying that someone is an adult is to charge their credit card a small fee.  This is not unique to Microsoft.  Microsoft's own age verification system in the past merely required the presence of a credit card, which was tested with a $1 funds holding, which would be immediately released.  New policy requires a small fee.  Microsoft has made this fee $0.50, part of which pays the bank for the transaction (funds transfers cost money), and the rest is donated to charity, namely the National Center For Missing & Exploited Children.  Microsoft has no interest in keeping the money you pay to verify your adulthood.  So if they're going to charge you to comply with COPPA, they might as well put that money to a good cause, right?  I went through the same thing with my daughter's account.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.