Microsoft Giving Out 1600 MS Points for Entertainment Awards Security Error

I have received an email today from Microsoft with a code for 1600 Points because I voted in the recent Xbox Entertainment Awards and filled in the competition entry form that was also on the website. A security error (or human error - not sure which) meant that all those who entered the competition had their email address, gamertag and dat of birth visible for anyone to see.

-

The page was quickly taken down, but all the email addresses that were visible should have had an email too with a 1600 MS Points code and tips on how to make your gamertag more secure!

-

Anyone else Vote, enter and received an email too?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I voted in the awards to but never got an email which I find odd as I thought everyone was affected. Just wondering, did you get an email confirmation after voting and entering the competition?

Just read the full story here

I thought you were sugar coating it with what info was leaked but I suppose nothing major could come from that info apart from huge amounts of spam emails etc. Or worse case someone could at least be half way to phishing an account.

In the "How to make your account more secure area" does it say to stay away from future MS offers and promotions?

[quote user="nibble monkey"]

I voted in the awards to but never got an email which I find odd as I thought everyone was affected. Just wondering, did you get an email confirmation after voting and entering the competition?

[/quote]

I voted and entered a competition the same day the website went live. It was only when entering the comp that I had to give my information so as to be contacted if I win which was days ago. I only received the 1600 MS Points email this afternoon confirming that my information was publicly visible for a short time. I didn't put the same email address that was tied to my gamertag, but others might have...

-

I read the news (and posted on thisisxbox) about the security breach which was first seen by MCV the other day. The site was taken down for a day.

I didn't even know about the Awards until someone posted about the security breach on here.

Then I guess something is up with mine, I'm 99.999999999999% sure that I voted and entered the competition on Monday (Which I believe is when the site went up) but I haven't received an email about the issues although it appears everyone as effected. That makes me think either it hasn't got to me yet or that I made a mistake in my email address somewhere meaning that it failed to send, annoying I have no idea how to tell what's going on and if I'll get the points or not :(

I just hope there aren't people out there currently having their personal finances ripped to shreds because of this error. I'm sure they'll be massively impressed when they see they've been given 1600msp