Microsoft Comments On LulzSec Info Exposure

Microsoft has commented on LulzSec's posting of emails and addresses, some of which may be associated with Xbox Live accounts.

Microsoft has sent us this comment on the data, which is an info dump and not a hack.

"This group appears to have posted a list of thousands of potential email addresses and passwords, and encouraged users to try them across various online sites like Xbox LIVE in the event one of the users happens to use the same password and email address combination.  At this time we do not have any evidence Xbox LIVE has been compromised. However we take the security of our service seriously and work on an ongoing basis to improve it against evolving threats."

[Original Story]: Hacker group LulzSec has released emails and passwords for some people's Xbox Live account info, among other sites and services.

The group dumped a list of 62,000 emails and passwords on a file sharing site (the list has been taken down multiple times) for accounts of sites and services like Xbox Live, PayPal, WOW, and much more (confirmed on LulzSec's Twitter, even). We've also had one poor reader tell us the credit card attached to his Xbox Live account has already been hit for $100 and the account's password changed.

LulzSec has also been involved in attacks on Nintendo, Minecraft, EVE Online, and (of course) Sony, among others. And for those of you keeping score out there, hactivists Anonymous deal more in denial of service attacks, while exposing user info is one of LulzSec's deals. Whatever the method or rationale, though, it's annoying.

Just to clarify: LulzSec hasn't hacked Xbox Live, they've simply released people's emails and passwords that may pertain to an Xbox Live or PayPal or WOW, etc. account.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm half tempted to fire up the ol' bitorrent client to see if I'm on that list, but I'm paranoid about what might happen if I actually dl it.

At least Microsoft didn't wait a month before admitting there was a problem. I don't know if I was on the list but I changed my password just to be sure.

I'm kind of confused about all this. Are these people after anything, or are they being jerks just because they can?

[quote user="voteDC"]

At least Microsoft didn't wait a month before admitting there was a problem. I don't know if I was on the list but I changed my password just to be sure.

[/quote]

Well that's ok then isn't it? Makes it all ok?

Do you honestly think if MS had been hacked first, they would have said anything this soon? I'll save you the time and answer it. No. No they wouldn't. The only reason they are acting as they are is because of all the other hacks going on.

They may have spoke too soon. Apparently lulzsec are targeting xbox live atm,

No surprise...

To be safe, everybody should change their passwords and have something different for each one.

KeePass is a great free program for maintaining passwords.

[quote user="VinceVega GB"]

Well that's ok then isn't it? Makes it all ok?

Do you honestly think if MS had been hacked first, they would have said anything this soon? I'll save you the time and answer it. No. No they wouldn't. The only reason they are acting as they are is because of all the other hacks going on.

[/quote]And if my Aunt had a willy she'd be my Uncle.

The simple fact is that Microsoft informed their customers of a security breach almost immediately, Sony did not.

So whether they would have done so if they had been the first to be breached in such a manner is a hypothetical scenario I can't comment on. I can only comment on what has happened.

At least until I perfect my Sliding machine.

MS has NO choice due to the goings on. It's quite simple.

No company likes to tell it's customers it's been hacked until they know what damage has been caused. It's how they do it.

Regardless, I hope they DO hack XBL and between MS, Sony and all the other companies being hacked they have enough evidence to track them down

Imagine the brownstorm if they take LIVE down lol.

[quote user="VinceVega GB"]

MS has NO choice due to the goings on. It's quite simple.

No company likes to tell it's customers it's been hacked until they know what damage has been caused. It's how they do it.

Regardless, I hope they DO hack XBL and between MS, Sony and all the other companies being hacked they have enough evidence to track them down

[/quote] Why hope they do?

Bet you would be the first to cry if your card got rinsed. (providing you have one attached to your account obviously.).

Unbelievable.