Microsoft charging for LIVE accounts you aren't using and making it impossible to cancel your account online.

So, I canceled (or so I thought) this account ages ago. I recently noticed a charge on my credit card for $9.99 from Microsoft. It didn't take me long to realize they were "auto-charging" me for an account that I don't even have on my xbox! I tried to cancel it here (online), but it won't let you. You have to call to get it cancelled. Well guess what? The "help center" is closed. Some of us overseas don't have all day to try and get a hold of someone just to keep from being fleeced. If someone from LIVE SUPPORT (what a joke) reads this, I want this account cancelled, and a refund for tall the months you charged me when I wasn't even using this account!

You guys purposely make it a HUGE pain in the butt to cancel these accounts. It's borderline unethical.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Hey there! Unfortunately we cannot cancel a subscription or make refunds here on the forums. All of this must be handled by phone support. Please give them a call at your convenience and they will be able to help you out with this. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Why should Microsoft refund you for your mistake.

And considering that Iraq isn't a region that supports Xbox LIVE, you should not have an Xbox LIVE account.

Please see this clicky for a list of supported countries:

www.xbox.com/.../countries

Sorry this didn't help.

Please don't accuse or assume it was this end users mistake without all the facts present and on the table.

I've seen varying accounts to similar problems and have personally found it very difficult to cancel auto-renewal via credit card; short of requesting an outright cancellation of a subcription without promise of refund.  In my particular case I had to request, twice, a refund of a subscription cancellation request to remove the credit card on file -- as a result of what was an unauthorized access to my account.  I had to fight for it -- simply to get MY card off of MY account because *I* didn't want it there anymore and I wanted the choice to let the subscription lapse when that expiration date/time arrived (a year+ from now).

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not assuming anything, I am merely working on the facts:

Gamer Profile states he is in Iraq, a country not supported by Xbox LIVE

"Thinking" you have done something does not make it happen

Calling Microsoft "thieves", and stating that what they are doing is unethical, just because they offer Auto-Renewal to simplify the gaming experience of many gamers, is completely unjustified, just because that person did not read the LIVE TOU

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm in the US and I'm finding that there are alot of hoops to jump through just to get your subscription canceled. I came here sifting through similar posts while I sit here on hold.

Somehow I fear that I might be another of the horror stories that I'm reading here, but reading these posts is giving me a good idea of what to be wary of.

Kind of annoying seeing people like mart jump in and act like he has all the answers. It's all fun any games until it happens to you.

This is the only thing I've ever subscribed to online that I've been unable to UNsubscribe to, and it's quite ridiculous. I can speculate why that is, but I'm not going to.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sabirwolf, I am not jumping in with all the answers, it is just that the OP posted with a bit of an attitude, and I posted my first comment a bit too soon after reading it. I was going to apologize for the harshness of what I had said, but then the troll Assassin2900 piped up, which just got me more worked up.

I do agree that Microsoft make people jump through a lot of hoops when it comes to subscriptions. I originally had a card on my account, and I got it removed by phoning customer support here in the UK. I don't know how different the call centre over in the US is compared to here, but they would usually let you remove it without to much hassle over the phone.

Sorry this didn't help.

After filing a SR/UA in September and specifically demanding the credit card be removed; all support did was 'invalidate' the credit card for puchases.  Whatever they did in the system flagged @ XBOX.COM that I had a billing issue and also flagged on the console.  Between the day this flag was set, my account was "temporarily suspended" while the UA was investigated and then lifted - the card was re-validated.  The same day my account suspension was removed by the PET, eight hours later, my account was jacked again.  This time the intruder used a card that should not have been on the account in the first place, let alone in a valid state for purchasing, to purchase points via ZUNE in order to jack my gamertag.  Getting a card off an active auto-renewal subscription is not as easy as asking for it.  If it was, the most recent breach would not have resulted in where I am today... unauthorized charges, loss of a gamertag I had for NINE years.

I had to demand its removal.  The first request was met with the same "I can invalidate it but if I remove it it will cancel your subscription".  I was then informed that if I cancel my subscription then I am not entitled to any refund on the remaining balance.  After arguing that my account had been hacked, attackers used the credit card on file to do what they did, after it was explicitly requested to be removed in September, that leaving the card on the account was not an option.  They finally cancelled the account and informed me that a supervisor would e-mail me "within a day" a token code for the remaining unused portion of my subscription.  Great news!  Unfortunately that day came and went as well as an additional week.  When I called back in to (1) inquire on my open SR/UA and (2) the refund/token code I was informed that SR/request for the token had been closed.  Sigh.  So during this call at least the representative was more helpful (almost too helpful) and during the call engaged a supervisor 'behind the scenes' (or so he said -- will have to take him at his word) and issued me two token codes for the remaining balance of my subscription.  Why wasn't this done in the first place?

NINE YEAR "GOLD" member.. no more.

Sorry this didn't help.