Mercenaries 2 Connection Problem

I recently bought a new Xbox 360 Slim to replace my old 20GB Premium. My brother has started playing on my old 360 and we have been playing a few online games together this way.

My brother liked the look of Mercenaries 2 which I recently bought 2nd hand so he went and bought a copy too so we could play co-op

However when he starts up the game, it comes up 'Connecting to EA Servers' and crashes. I tried both consoles at the same time, the Slim logged into my user and the Premium logged into my brothers. My console connected up to the servers without problem but the Premium crashed again. I then tried my profile on the Premium, loaded the game and it logged into the servers no problem. So there is nothing wrong with the console.

I have read on the internet it maybe something to do with not having an EA Account so I popped in my copy of Battlefield into the 360 and created an EA Account for my brother but on loading Mercenaries 2, the same thing happened and the game crashed again.

It must be something to do with my brothers profile, but what could be wrong?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The servers for Mercanaries 2 are no longer available. They were pulled by EA. Take it back to the shop and get a refund for it not being clearly labelled as having no multiplayer.

My profile connects up to the Mercenaries 2 server fine and I know a friend who still regularly plays on Mercenaries 2 online. Its only my brothers profile that won't connect

How old is your brother?

EA are fairly strict on letting underage players play online games (assuming he's under 13)

Does he have any other EA games he can try (e.g. FIFA etc..)

He's 37 so I don't think the age thing will be a problem :)

I've tried my copy of Battlefield 2 Bad Company on his profile, accepted the T&C, registered and it all went through okay, but as soon as we went back into Mercenaries 2 it just crashed again.

[quote user="Mike9586"]

My profile connects up to the Mercenaries 2 server fine and I know a friend who still regularly plays on Mercenaries 2 online. Its only my brothers profile that won't connect

[/quote]

Here

[quote user="Unreal Warfare"]

Here

[/quote]

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates is a much better source (and it's only the PC version that's been shut down)

I stand corrected.

EA admin pretty much says the servers are dead.

forum.ea.com/.../429617.page

To get past the EA sign in thing. Start the game wile not connected to live. Then start single player. Then connect to live.

A friend still plays on Mercenaries 2 online on a regular basis (on the 360). I bought it on his recommendation and have no problems on my profile. The game signs into the EA servers without a problem.

My brother went and got a second copy of the game so we could try the co-op together.

I just don't understand why my brother's profile should have this problem yet mine, a friend of mine (and a friend of his) has no problem at all.

Doesn't sound like this problem is new either, I've found forum posts dating back to late 2008 (not long after the game was released) complaining about the same problem. The solution back then for most people was to download the 'Army of Two' demo and sign up to an EA Account with that, however I've tried this and the Army of Two servers have been shut down (that demo doesn't crash, it just says the servers are unavailable).

But as I said in a previous message, we created an EA Account for my brother in Battlefield 2 Bad Company and that connects up the servers without problem. It is just Mercenaries 2 that has the issue.

If we'd known about this, my brother could have just used my disc to play through the single player mode on his own, the only reason he got a second copy was so we could play co-op.

Just tried running FIFA 11 and Dead Space 2 on under my brother's profile. They both connected to the EA servers okay and I accepted the T&Cs however Mercenaries 2 still doesn't want to work.

I've read on another site that you need to accept terms and conditions for a game made in 2008 or before to play Mercenaries 2. Back when that post was wrote, Army of Two was still live and you could easily download a demo, accept the T&Cs and play Mercenaries 2 without any more problems.

However as Army of Two is no longer live, is there any other EA game demo from 2008 or before that still works online? I must have at one time downloaded a demo like this and accepted the T&Cs as Mercenaries works fine on my profile.

I think its ridiculous that EA should close down servers after the game has only been out a few years. I wish they would just use the standard Xbox Live servers like everybody else that way the games would still live for many more years.