MAYBE A HELPFUL SOLUTION TO Disconnecting from Xbox live for those in need!!!

After my son's Halo Reach Limited Edition XBOX console disconnected from LIVE for NO REASON we know of. I was on a MISSION! (And I fixed it...here's how)

SITUATION:

--He was not banned; has acctive GOLD status.

--Checked service status on line for XBOX LIVE -- all good.

--I am network administrator for the household.

--Nothing in home network changed--(ALL GOOD) All home users happily networking away at same time.  ONLY XBOX LIVE went down. Out of the blue. Up in the morning, and down in the afternoon.

--Checked if Console is UP TO DATE. Yes; all fine.

--Tried ALL the XBOX support solutions provided on website. No good.

--Re set to factory defaults; no good.

-- Disengaged network and router and hardware, all rebooted, renewed.  No good.

-- Re-established WEP secured home network....and tried again. No good.

--Set up and allowed a manual IP from Xbox IP into router, allowed MAC address, etc etc.  No good.

-- Re-checked all router ports, cables, plugs, etc.  All good; but no LIVE. No god.

-- Could not locate any other house interference from foreign phones, laptops, other media that was not active before LIVE went down.

-- Got 3 different screens when trying to connect to LIVE:

1) One screen said could not find any wireless network at all;

2) Second screen said found home network but only "1" bar;

3) Third screen slowly and weakly connected through to LIVE but died out.

So what was left for me to try that I had NOT tried? I searched and searched...then came across:

--Change router channel to a different one than using currently.

-- Bought an EXTERNAL wireless adapter made for XBOX  with "DUAL 2"  antennae (not 1)...more expensive, but worth it!

NEXT STEPS:

Went home and did the following 3 things only:

1) Shut everything down and everyone off the home wireless network (then put on pc for the router to do step 2)

2) Changed SSID broadcast channel to different one. (then turned on XBox and waited)

3) Plugged in the external wireless adapter bought from GameStop.

RESULT:

WE WERE  IMMEDIATELY CONNECTED TO XBOX LIVE AT LIGHTNING SPEED!  amazing.

Son happily playing Modern Warfare III .  We are Xbox happy.  You NEVER KNOW.

(P.S. I sent console back to Microsoft in September for this same scenario and thought it was a built-in WiFi hardware problem.  Console came back in 4 weeks...worked great and then NO CONNECTION TO LIVE again after home for 2 weeks.  So I tried all the above and that is how I am now connected without sending it back, again!). Yeah.

By the way, MICROSOFT HAS GREAT SUPPORT, HELP, TECHNICIANS, AND SERVICE TURNAROUND, SO  KEEP YOUR PRODUCT WARRANTY UP TO DATE AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to: