May 2011 Update Got You Down?

Hey guys!

[fore-warning: I am not a member of Xbox Support, just another user like you.] Decided to post here because it seems like there is some air that needs clearing regarding this issue.

So lately I have been hearing that many users have been affected by the new update being pushed out to your xbox between May 19th and May 31st, and now are unable to play. You may be experiencing that your console can no longer read disks, or can no longer connect to xbox live.

There have been press releases regarding your issue if your Xbox can no longer read disks. You may have recieved an email from Xbox Support regarding this. If you haven't, you may not have your console registered or they have contact information that is not up to date.

You may view the following links for more information.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/05/breaking-will-the-latest-xbox-live-update-affect-dvd-drives/

http://majornelson.com/2011/05/19/new-xbox-360-system-update-brings-expanded-paypal-functionality/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110161-Firmware-Update-May-Break-Your-Old-Xbox-360-UPDATE

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712745/xbox-360-update-bricks-consoles-microsoft-sending-new-consoles-to-those-affected/

If you did not recieve an email, I would suggest calling Xbox Phone Support to let them know about the issue you are having. They will most likely ask for your serial number. You may find this on the back of the console by the barcodes, or you can go to System Settings -> Console Settings -> System info to find it as well.

I have also been seeing some issues occuring that some consoles can no longer connect to live after the update. If you are having this issue, calling Xbox Support is going to be your best option.

Any questions you may have, should be directed to Xbox Phone Support. 1800-4MY-XBOX (1-800-469-9269)

edit: adding paragraphs

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Xbox wont help. I been on the phone with them for an hour trying to explain the situation. I have a 2 1/2 yr old xbox untouched (not modded),  and they couldn't provide an answer or solution for me, they prety much told me im ***  and that  even if u installed a fan or change the disc drive that warranty is void.

thank u microsoft for making a 3yr old xbox user who kept defending ur name and brand for royally *** me with this update.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="sinista514"]  even if u installed a fan or change the disc drive that warranty is void.[/quote]Its in the terms of use you have to agree to join xbox live. So you can't claim you didnt know.

Sorry this didn't help.

my box is clean, untouched. i asked them what does the term modifying means. they explained. i never opened my xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't connect to xbox live after  the update.

I get xbox live: failed

well I think its trying to tell me xbox live is  a fail.

Sorry this didn't help.

my issue is i wanna know if this update is ramdonly *** ppl up or is this step 1 or MS fachism.... deeply upset by this. ruined my holiday/day off I JUST WANTED TO PLAY COD!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got the same problem!!

No idea why it's simply not connecting to live... I've tried it's only suggestion, which was to check LIve connection in System Settings - I did, Live loaded, and promptly brought up the Friggin' update again! No idea how to fix this...

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the same issue with my xbox 360 slim. I tried everything, but I use a wireless connection and then i tried a wired connection to my modem and i'm fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ButtermilkBscut

That's the problem I have!  But, sadly, my modem is in a room where I cannot play xbox...

I guess this means that I loose my Limited Edition Reach Xbox??

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="ABigRedMonster"]

No idea why it's simply not connecting to live... Live loaded, and promptly brought up the Friggin' update again! No idea how to fix this...

[/quote]

In order to connect to Xbox Live, all consoles are required to have the latest System Software installed. Therefore, if your console detects an update that isn't installed yet, it disconnects itself from Live until the Update is properly installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can no longer play video games. It will not read the disc. It will say reading then open tray...this sucks!!!

Sorry this didn't help.