Mass Effect 3 - Role Playing Game or Interactive DVD?

I love "Mass Effect".

I thought "Mass Effect 2" was amazing... being able to play through the game as my Original Commander Shepherd from the first game made the character mean so much more to me.

The feeling was so spectacular that it made me overlook the fact that I my inventory was kind of... gone.

Now with "Mass Effect 3" it's early doors... I've only just landed on the Citadel but so far the RPG element has seen me choose a few replies while the rest of the game streamlines me down what appears to be a very linear corridoor.

It's still pretty awesome but what a shame that the "Mass Effect" series has lost so many RPG elements that it's becoming an interactive DVD.

Sure it's a good DVD and it's cool to be able to play the lead in your favourite Sci Fi series but I miss the diverse classes, light, medium and heavy armour, different weapons and their modifiers...  I miss LOOT!

What a shame.  I've just had a look at the Citadel Map and the great big numbers just leave me thinking I'm playing "Mass Effect For Dummies".

Anyone else missing the depth of the first game?

Az

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think the first game is played up all too much in comparison of what the second and third 'lack'. I think the third finds a great middle ground, it has a better version of the mod and weapons system that the first had not to mention the huge technical, graphical and gameplay improvements. If it's a DVD then it's just as much a DVD as the first or second.

ME3 is like half content of ME2, Just finished it done all side missions and I'm on 24-25hours game save time. ME2 is over double that. And I've just been left lackluster as of how the endings are played out. Fans already doing peitions etc at Bioware about it. :/ meh.

ME3 is for sure more main stream. They could of just took ME2 and reworded everything etc so felt like a new game and I'd of been happy.

The MP is a tack on, the MP Maps are clearly all from SP with they slap on simple missions for the use of them in the SP. It's a well made polished game but when it's a follow up to a game before it, it really should match it at a min.

Wish I didn't play on normal now as don't think I can play it again... thou if I just do main story bet I'll finish it in 15 hours or so if that. (I've done 3 100% playthroughs of ME2 and thats double the content)

So overall, ME3 is a let down for me, like how gears of war 3 ending let fans down.

Asura's Wrath is more of an "Interactive DVD" - and you seemingly find it "EPIC". Just a casual observation.

[quote user="PlatinumSpectre"]

Asura's Wrath is more of an "Interactive DVD" - and you seemingly find it "EPIC". Just a casual observation.

[/quote]

So you've noticed it too then.

"Asura's Wrath" is touted as an "interactive Anime".

"Mass Effect 3" is touted as an RPG but it seems to be stripped almost completely of RPG conventions that it becomes an 'on rails soap opera'.

I want to see how the story unfolds and I love playing the part of Shepherd.  I really miss the different armour and equipment and modifiers that gave the original "Mass Effect" such a rich loot system.

I really miss being able to wander around the Normandy, chatting to the crew, exploring and discovering things.  Maybe this last one will come as I get further in the game.

EA Bioware's offering pales in comparisson to Bioware's original and the fact that we can enjoy such a dumbed down streamlined casual-gamer friendly version of "Mass Effect" is a testatment to the greatness of the original offering.

The only thing is that if EA Bioware don't want to make a Space RPG anymore I really wish someone else would.

Still a great story but not as great a game.

Az

It's definately more tactical third person shooter than RPG overall, but i'm ok with that - if your concerned with it being casual-gamer friendly, try it on insanity where it's anything but

Sounds like Mass Effect was worth the extra money then?

I might play it on youtube when someone has uploaded their experience in HD, and hold a controller in my hand just for (mass) effect.

A lot of people I know are so disappointed with ME3, all the disc swapping too - but probably about 10 DLC packs this year to wring every last penny out of ME fans...

So many people are pissed over the ending it's not even funny. It's all a bit Misery-esque

Isn't there different options for playing style.a story game or an action game. I haven't got this yet so I'm going from the demo

[quote user="NEUROTIC HOG"]

It's definately more tactical third person shooter than RPG overall, but i'm ok with that - if your concerned with it being casual-gamer friendly, try it on insanity where it's anything but

[/quote]

It's more like Gears of War than ME2 ever was.

Not only have they added roly-polys but you also have an Omniblade like a chainsaw which gets it's own mini-cut scene like the chainsaw did.