Majong is being sued by Bethesda ???

For those wondering why this is in the xbox forums it might soon be a big issue, with the impending release of Minecraft 360 and Skyrim there might be more than a little bad Blood.

So where did this stem from, well Majong's own Notch announced that he wanted to call their next game scrolls, Bethesda then claimed they own the trademark as they own the Elder scrolls series and that Notch would be breaking their copyright. Notch actually gave a public statment saying if Bethesda weren't happy he would change the name of the game. Bethesda are now sueing Majong because Majong considered using the name scrolls for their next game.

Thats right Bethesda is sueing Majong for thinking something.

Has the world gone totally mad ?

On that note I'm off to copyright the name OOG and sue google for copyright infingement, see you all.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't really see how they have a case. The argument seems to be that 'Scrolls' is somehow synomynous with and only with Elder Scrolls but like someone said that doesn't really fly.

-

The Tim Langdell trademark dispute over the word 'Edge' sort of sets a precedent of this going in Notch's favour

MOJANG

Pathetic on Bethesda's part to say the least. If this goes through, what's the betting on EA laying claim to "the" & "of"? Ludicrous defined.

I believe that you can not claim ownership of a solitary word that is already well established in the English language, you can only coypyright a unique phrase or word you have created,

They aren't suing him for thinking something. His game is actually called "Scrolls" - he wasn't just thinking about calling it.

It's still complete madness though. Copyrighting a word? get out of here. God of War/Gears of War, Streets of Rage/Rage, Left 4 Dead/Dead Island, Minecraft/Warcraft/Starcraft  so on so forth.

Bethesda are stupid for doing this.  A few months back Notch challenged Bethesda to a Quake 3 deathmatch to settle the dispute instead of taking proceedings to court.

I'm going to copyright the letter X anyone that uses it will be sued.

[quote user="PlatinumSpectre"]

They aren't suing him for thinking something. His game is actually called "Scrolls" - he wasn't just thinking about calling it.

It's still complete madness though. Copyrighting a word? get out of here. God of War/Gears of War, Streets of Rage/Rage, Left 4 Dead/Dead Island, Minecraft/Warcraft/Starcraft  so on so forth.

[/quote]

No Notch actually said if Bethesda wanted he would change the name, Scrolls was what he wanted to call it but he was actually been good about changing it if they asked him. Sueing is not asking nicely if you ask me lol.

You know what copyright the word Craft you'll be quids in lol

[quote user="the1337gamer"]

Bethesda are stupid for doing this.  A few months back Notch challenged Bethesda to a Quake 3 deathmatch to settle the dispute instead of taking proceedings to court.

[/quote]

Best idea ever!

Did you know that Mincecraft's actual release date is 11/11/11 also?

The whole patent/trademark bullshit is getting way out of hand, not just in this case but everywhere. It's ridiculous.