Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

Magic the Gathering is a global phenomenon that hit in the 90's.

It's a card game where you play the part of a Wizard who duels other wizards.

Your powersource is the lands you command.

They provide you with the Manna or energy to summon creatures and manifest spells.

Originally this was played with cards.  You bought them as packs and built up your decks.  Like any collecting game it could get rather expensive and as I was throwing all my money at Comic Books back then I wasn't in a position to throw them at Magic Cards as well.

For 800 MS points this is great value for money.  The game is a virtual card game that allows you to expand and aquire more cards and decks and provides for a reasonable amount of customisation as well.

It can seem a bit daunting and confusing at first because the game does have a fair amount of depth but this year's edition comes with the best tutorial system they've released yet.  It talks you through an entire match gives you all the basics to set you on your merry way.

If you had 2012 you are rewarded with a bonus deck which I thought was a nice acknowledgement on the part of the developers to existing fans.

Stronly recommend checking this out. 

On your first go you may not find it an instant hit but there's a reason the franchise is so massive and it doesn't take too many games to understand the appeal.

Az

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Will probably pick it up when I get paid. Got the other two, and need something to spend my 3 month summer on! Great arcade game and for 800 msp a bargain.

Nice one.

By the time you get it I might actually be able to mount some sort of a challenge.

Otherwise you'll really enjoy playing me!

Az

Has this one changed much?

I'll have to take a while to find my deck, something that works for me anyway!

Is it easy to get into for basically, non card-game players? I've not played a card game like this in absolute yonks but this seems interesting enough for me to jump back in.

[quote user="PlatinumSpectre"]

Is it easy to get into for basically, non card-game players? I've not played a card game like this in absolute yonks but this seems interesting enough for me to jump back in.

[/quote]

I would say "Yes" but swallow your Cyber-Pride and play the game on Easy.

Like Poker there's an element of luck involved but also an element of skill.

Give yourself every advantage you can because you're never going to get into the game if you introduce yourself to it by stacking the odds against yourself to begin with.

Just as you get familiar with and start to understand one deck... there are tons of others to contend with.

Easy to get into and you should get a decent life span out of it.

Az

@Platinum It is quite easy to get into, the only card based game I was familiar with prior to Magic was Yu-Gi-Oh on ps2, and they play very differently.

As Az said there is an element of luck being a draw based game of which your deck is randomized, that said skill is needed when it comes to what cards you play, when you attack and other such things. But still, give the main game a go and find a deck that suits you.

Best card playing experience on any console by far.

Magic the Gathering is easy to play, but extremely difficult to master. It's got a decent tutorial too, so a beginner should have no problems picking it up. The luck element is nowhere near as high as traditional card games - a great player with a well structured deck will beat a mediocre player pretty much 100% of the time regardless of the cards he draws. It's great fun with a few friends.

It's pretty much a starter version of Magic the Gathering: Online on the PC, but you won't get beaten solely because you refuse to spend £100s on new cards.

There are a few negatives though...

All the decks are focused towards a specific strategy and you cannot mix and match cards, you can only trim cards from your deck. This is presumably so they do not undermine MtG: Online and the original paper based version.

Unless you're prepared to grind for a great many hours, then you're going to have to purchase deck keys at 80MSP a piece in order to unlock the extra 30 cards per deck.

They removed the entertaining Arch Enemy mode from MtG2012 and replaced it with the incredibly slow and random Planechase mode.

After saying all that, it's still a great game - especially if you're playing with friends - and it's sufficiently different from the previous versions to warrant a purchase.

I bought it but haven't a clue what i am doing really. Sort of got the idea. When you beat someone online do cards go into your deck manager or is that just campaign? I really want to get into it. It looks good :D

Whenever you win a match a card gets unlocked and is automatically placed into your deck - regardless of mode or opponent. You can then enter the deck manager and trim cards that you do not wish to use. A deck must contain between 60 and 100 cards - most good players try and stick to around 60 with a strategy in mind.

[quote user="I ate zombies"]

I bought it but haven't a clue what i am doing really. Sort of got the idea. When you beat someone online do cards go into your deck manager or is that just campaign? I really want to get into it. It looks good :D

[/quote]

Play the Tutorial.  It's very useful.

The only people who will have an issue with this game will be self proclaimed "Magic Experts" who's personal tastes haven't been fully accounted for.

That's not to knock their expertise or their personal tastes.  If you know Magic backwards then you'll be able to find faults with it.  If you're discovering it then there's lots of fun stuff to discover.

Az