As a diehard football fan, I had to buy Madden for X1. Madden 13 on 360 wasn't terrible last year on 360, so I figured it probably would only be improved this year for next gen. WRONG. This is the most unrealistic sports game I have ever played in my life. Here's some of the things in seeing that need to be greatly improved in this game. BTW, I play on All-pro. I talked to someone who plays on pro, and they said they same things were happening, just not as frequently.
- Passing. Anytime you press a button to throw a pass to a receiver, as soon as your quarterback even starts to wind up to throw the ball, every defensive back (defensive players covering receivers) full out sprint to where you are throwing the ball. This is horribly unrealistic because in real life, the cornerbacks who are covering receivers almost always have their back turned to the QB, keeping all attention on the receiver. The safety has their eyes on the QB, but they still shouldn't be sprinting to where the ball will be thrown before it is even thrown! This is creating many problems:
- Interceptions: There are way too many, partly because of the ball hawk issue I just talked about above. But it is also because the players seem to be geniuses with 5 foot verticals. If I'm throwing a pass 15 yards downfield, a lot of times the linebacker or whoever happens to be 5 yards downfield will just leap up 5 feet in the air and intercept it. They go from covering a player on my team, to completely spinning around, knowing where the ball is and leaping and catching it, all in .333 seconds. Terribly unrealistic. Also, defensive backs constantly outjump and outplay the receivers. Even if you throw to a receiver that is being single covered, if the defensive back is anywhere near, they will always either break up the play or pick it off. Every single time, and the receiver will never fight for the ball.
- Controlling your player: Whenever you are running with the ball, it is soooo hard to control where the h*ll you are going. As a runningback, if you are trying to run through a hole it is near impossible because if you make one small shift left or right, your player completely stops and does this whole cutting motion bullsh*t. In fact, anytime you try to change directions quickly, your player like completely stops to make this slowmo cutting motion to change directions. NCAA Football 14 was awesome with this, but this game is garbage when it comes to controlling your players. Also, running the ball between the tackles is extremely annoying because not only is it hard to go through the holes, when you do go through them, defensive players ALWAYS come off their blocks to tackle you. No matter what, when you run by they WILL get off their blocks. U n r e a l i s t i c. Can't say it enough.
- Receivers. Recivers CONSTANTLY drop the ball. Like every third pass! Part of this is because every hit in this game is like a jawbreaking, bone crushing hit stick hit. But they even drop wide open passes. And when you throw the ball to receivers running towards the sidelines, they almost never stay in bounds. I'll throw the ball to a receiver doing an out route, he will catch it 5 yards away from the sideline, and since you can't control the players right after they catch the ball, the receiver will continue sprinting like a moron so that they do not get both feet in, resulting in an incomplete pass. U n r e a l i s t i c.
- The "infinity engine". I throw a pass to my 250 pound tight end, start sprinting, and here comes a defensive back so I go to truck him and BOOM, I get completely leveled as my 250 pound tight end, who was running full speed ahead, tries to truck a 190 pound defensive back and gets smashed to the ground. So realistic!!!
- There are more things that I am forgetting. Feel free to share your thoughts.