lost gamertag

Heres my problem:

Yesterday my xbox froze and then shut off, so I restarted it.  I was then prompted to download the update, which I did, and then I noticed all the profiles were missing.  I tried to use the download profile option, but the email I get all my xbox live emails to (this one, roomiermule) isn't the one I use, its just a random one I made when I first got my xbox.  I needed to remember the email for my main profile.  I tried the email that I originally used and it wouldn't work: either it was the wrong email or password, I didn't know which.

So today I called support, they verified that the two emails I was trying were correct.  So I tried to reset the password for my main account, and it said "The Microsoft account is incorrect. Please try again."  I tried several times but it said the same thing, as if somehow the email associated with my account is no longer in existence.  I tried a variety of things while on the phone with support, none of them helped, and we never figured out the main problem: why did their files say my email was bound to the account, but when I tried to reset the password xbox.com thinks the email doesn't exist.  Finally after about an hour on the phone the tech said he would refer me to the next level, and they would get back to me within the next 23 days...  unacceptable.  Does anyone else have any idea about this problem and have any ideas that might help me recover my gamer tag? I am almost to the point where I would rather dump my 6 year old profile and just make another rather than mess with this problem for 23 days.

few facts:

I did not get any error codes

I am certain the email I am attempting to use is correct, and it was verified by the tech over the phone

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

Okay more info, when I look into my storage tab it is prompting me to format my hard drive, and telling me that all my files will be deleted.  I found a few threads on this topic, is there a fix for this, and is this why my profiles are all missing?  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there Roomier,

Sorry to hear you've been having issues with your accounts.

For your account e-mail showing missing, have you tried our Account Recovery Tool?

For your console, that format error is often related to having an unofficial third party Hard Drive.

Please let us know how that all goes and we'll work from there.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.