Looking for any Information Regarding Hacked Account

I am getting frustrated at the inability to get an answer from any wing of the Xbox Live customer service department.  On September 5th I received a notice that my account was successfully transferred from the United States Region to Russia.  This surprised me and I called hours after receiving that email to notify Xbox Support (800-My-Xbox) that this is a mistake as I made no such transfer request and that I suspected I had been hacked/account hijacked.  This was certainly the case as I turned on my xbox and the dashboard presented text in Russian.  I have my suspicious on how this happened but regardless, the onus of responsibility fell on me to have a safe/complicated enough password and I did not.  1,120 MS Points were charged off on my account as well.  Thankfully I didn't have a credit card saved to my account so whoever did this couldn't charge off a substantial amount of money.  I was informed that an investigation can take around 25-30 days.  This sounded fine.

It is now 49 days since I called in and all inquiries in to my account investigation have given me no information.  If I tweet at xboxsupport they refer me to the 800-My-Xbox number.  They inform me that they have no access to the investigation cases themselves.  I call the 800 number and they inform me that they are only able to see the 'ticket' that I submitted and whatever the investigation team has found/updated on my request/inquiry/ticket.  They also inform me there is no direct way to contact the investigation team.  A constant loop of passing the buck has ensued as I can't get an answer on what is going on nor can anyone offer any insight in to why its been 49 days and counting.  I can/have provided my console ID number, my console serial number, and can prove I have not moved to Russia.  No credit card fraud occurred.  I am completely reasonable in this situation in that I understand things take time, but it is frustrating that there has been no communication regarding this.  On October 3rd I received a single email from Xbox Support stating,

Dear Xbox LIVE Customer,

Your report of an unauthorized access to your Xbox LIVE account has been reviewed by our fraud investigations team. However, there is a delay in processing your request, so we're sending you a free, 30-day Xbox LIVE membership code that you can use to create a new, temporary account.

CODE XXXXXXXXX

We may contact you again within 30 days.

Which is fine.  But I do have a large friends list, etc, attached to the former gamertag.  This is the big release quarter for the game industry.  Do I just move on with a new gamertag and re-friend my dozens of friends?  Or do I wait for my old one to presumably get restored?  I just want to get a straight answer. They "may" contact me within 30 days.  It's almost been 30 days since then.  

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Unforgivable, MS are burying their heads in the sand and seem to have no intention of dealing with the issue, based on reports of other users, your looking at not having your account for 4 months plus.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

@heordieracer82 the enforcement team must do their intestagation first so they can take action against the user that compramised the account

Sorry this didn't help.

Why does everyone seem to have the false pretense that enforcement action is instant? Even real life crimes take time to investigate, gather evidence and take action against. With millions of subscribers and thousands of careless players who willingly give out their personal information (which can be used to compromise their account(s)) it will of course take time to address any issues when an account is compromised.

Atleast MS responded and gave you 30 days of Live.

For future reference you should use an e-mail address and password for your XBL account that you do not use for any other service/website. That will help keep your account that much safer. I wouldn't even link to it on Facebook or any other site unless you absolutely trust it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not under any sort of fals pretense that action is instant.  I also acknowledged that this hijacking of my account is by and large my fault.  I also was fine with it taking up to 30 days or so. I let my own security lapse and this has made me re-evaluate and change all my passwords and have them be truly random and to be changed every month.  

The MS response was a form letter.  There is no transparency in the investigation so it's very hard to know what is going on.  I think as a gamer you can be empathetic to the predicament.  

Sorry this didn't help.

The same thing happened to me this weekend, they guy I talked to was very helpful. It seems to me that maybe one of their servers has been hacked. Looking online more and more people have been hacked in the past month then every before. I am just waiting until they come out with an announcement.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sick of people blaming people saying they gave out their login information.  That's absolute crap.  I didn't give out my information nor did I'm sure the majority of people who got hacked.  This is getting ridiculous.  They will never catch the person or persons who did this, refund me my points back, and let me play my games online, not suspend my account for 25 business days.

Sorry this didn't help.

Far too many unhelpful people out there with unhelpful opinions.

I suggest that you contact MS HQ in Reading, your local MP and Berkshire trying standards, that's what I did, got my account back in 25 minutes.

Sorry this didn't help.

We definitely feel for your situation. Since the investigations team mentioned they would be contacting you within 30 days, I'd wait until they do. If you haven't heard from them within that time frame, please either call Phone Support again or update this thread so we can investigate.

Sorry this didn't help.

They didn't say they would be contacting me within 30 days.  They said they "may" contact me within 30 days.  And I talked to a customer service rep via 800 number and they said that they've never seen a gamertag get recovered/returned to the owner once they've been transferred out of the country.  I was encouraged to create a new gamertag.  Which doesn't bother that much but from what I gather all the games I've bought through MS Arcade are now gone and unlikely to be refunded.  That does bother me.  But I'll wait and see if the Investigations team does in fact get back to me.

Sorry this didn't help.

My friend, the key point to this is ti be patient..

I never received a 30 free day trial so you are lucky on that -

Just play  your xbox on that temporary account and when it runs out, go get some fresh air, work your muscles and in no time you will realised/realized you have an email from a couple of weeks ago and you missed the phone call.

This is meaning "Be patient".

Don't you think Microsoft has to do a major job, especially with a lot of people recently been hacked?

If there was just  1 or 2 people,

Then sure - That would be acceptable to complain if it went over 30 days.

But they are making sure for every user who called up they can catch the person who did it and get the best data to why. Then they have to restore the Microsoft Points..

In this case i's not Microsoft Point related, but you hopefully see the point where I am coming from.

Hope this helps,

Brad.

Sorry this didn't help.