Long start up, then failed update, then missing or corrupt error, finally showing unformatted HDD

I have an xbox 360s 250Gb with Kinect. 

When I power up, it goes through POST (xbox logo) fine, but with a slight delay at the end. I then get a update msg for Kinect. I click ok to update, but then an error msg pops up telling me it failed to update due to missing or corrupt files. I am then able to continue on to the dashboard without signing in to LIVE. If I go to settings to see storage devices it tells me my original 250Gb HDD is unformatted. Most of my saved games are in the cloud. SO, I continue to go ahead and format the HDD, I provide my serial number and click ok. It starts off as 50% formatted, freezes for a min or so than completes. When I go back to storage settings it shows my HDD as UNFORMATTED again. If I power down uplug everything and reseat the HDD and power on I go through the whole cycle again. 

Any ideas? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Sounds like your Hard drive is done. You will need to go and buy a new one. (just my opinion though)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Schnydz,

From the description you have given about what you are experiencing it would seem that the hard drive will need to be replaced.  https://myservice.xbox.com

For the time being you could use a USB Drive for your storage device until you get a replacment hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Tgeekster, I have gone ahead and ordered a new HDD. Quick question on the USB Drive though. If I take out the HDD and use a 4Gb USB flash drive, for some reason I get an error when I go to enable Cloud storage. Something about not having enough space. Is there a workaround for this? thanks,

Sorry this didn't help.