LOCKED - Swapping gamertags, old tag still in use?

So I have two gamertags we'll just call them tag A and tag B I basically wanted to do this.

Change tag B to tag C (Random temp tag)

Change tag A to what tag B was (its a tag that I like better and actually matches with forum names etc everywhere else)

Change tag C to what tag A used to be.

Sorry if that's confusing, basically I'm just trying to swap and use my second tag as my main one from now on. So I changed tag B and within a minute I logged to tag A to try and switch it, but even though tag B was changed it is still saying it's in use.

The weird thing is, if I try and change it to something I KNOW is in use I get the error "This gamertag is already in use" but when I try and change it to what I want it to be I get "The gamertag "____" is already in use. Two different errors.

So in short, is there like a cooldown after changing a gamertag before it frees up? Or am I maybe still logged into a Live service that I forgot about? Mind you the second tag was created a couple months ago so the name I want is kinda random and I doubt it would get taken within the 30 seconds it took me to try and change to it.

Also, when I try to add the tag as a friend it says it doesn't exist on LIVE.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 80 Applies to:

After you change a tag it doesn't become available instantly. I'm not sure exactly how long it takes though. I've heard it can be 24 hours and I've heard 30 days.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Smwutches, I thought there may be a cooldown but @xboxsupport couldn't confirm it for me. If there is anyone that could narrow down the timeline (so I don't log on tomorrow and sit all day trying to change it) that'd be great.

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone else have a concrete answer? Not that I don't appreciate yours Smwutches, I just obviously want to spend more time playing games than sitting at the dashboard trying to change my tag over and over lol

Sorry this didn't help.

I totally understand. I've just never seen a concrete answer myself.

Sorry this didn't help.

There isn't one. Here's the thing, if you try to use a GT and it says unavailable, it's unavailable. The system wasn't set up for "swapping" GTs. Your old GT may have been claimed by another user already, or it could be in use on another platform now (Zune, etc).

Basically there is no resource for checking a GT or in any way "giving" it to you. I know that sounds vague, but that's how it works. Sorry for your frustration.

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually fixed it and got the tag. There was a non-live profile on my XBOX with the name I wanted also, I deleted that and tried to change the tag and it worked.

So I guess swapping is fine/instant so long as you make sure to delete any remnants of the name you want locally.

Sorry this didn't help.