LOCKED - My 10 year old son banned for modding his avatar

My son got his XBox for his 10th birthday. He also got a prepaid 3 month Xbox live card. He filled in the info and agreed to the terms. But he is 10, he didn't read it...like most kids his age. He modded his avatar. Now, he is banned til 12/31/9999. I think he should be banned for a couple of months. But not for the rest of his life. You can't take something a 10 year old signs to court and it be upheld. Xbox should have like ipods, iphones or ipad has where you can't do anything til there is a valid credit card # on the account. That way, parents can read the terms before they start playing online. I don't understand how xbox can hold a 10 year old responsible for not reading their terms for xbox live, where they do nothing to actually the users age agreeing to it. His banned gamer tag is mort 2016.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 66 Applies to:

I got banned for the same thing a few months back. I tried to get it my suspension down to something a little more reasonable but they didn't do anything and I'm sure the won't do anything for you either. But I agree, a lifetime ban for something as small and harmless as changing your avatar's skin color is outrageous...I had been a member for over 3 years and they give me a lifetime ban

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No disrespect intended but this is where you need to be told to "Parent up."  

It was your responsibility to read and explain to him what was acceptable on this service and ensure that he followed said rules.  Parents can still read the "terms" without the need for credit card info.  Also, I find it rather mind boggling that you would attempt to pass the responsibility from yourself to your ten year old.

I weep for the future.

Sorry this didn't help.

Like how xbox tried to not admit that it isn't their fault that another kid hacking into my sons account and getting my cc info. They said that can't track down the user because we did what they said and got the account back.  And when the fraud department had a look at it, they could't do anything because we had the account. Maybe xbox needs to have a little better security. So thanks Mr. "KNOWITALL" for your input.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, got my cc info.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's called principle people. If you let one person do something as trivial as modding an avatar you just can't be expected to get off light. There are several other people that have done this, so if they do it for one they have to do it for everyone....which would be unfair.

And also your son's account was not hacked. He was phished by giving away his info.

Sorry this didn't help.

Funny you mention credit card info when the only part of the number displayed on eather the xbox or the billing.microsoft page is the last 4 numbers. Unlike what happened to Sony in the last few months, the only way someone could access your accout is by eather giving someone, ie. "Trusted Friend" your accout info or by not using a secure password and changing it on a regular basis.

As for  your son modding his avatar, it is your responsibility for explaining things to him by takeing the time to read the terms and condition on anything your going to be paying for. After all your responsible for your sons actions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hahahahaha, Mr. Knowitall.  Funny you should sink to name calling when your inability to police your own child is pointed out to you.  I chose the Gamertag Knowitall to annoy those that call me a know it all when I point out their errors or ineptness, so you basically walked right into it and you're welcome.

As for your account being hacked, I don't believe it.  1.  You're first post mentioned that "Xbox should have like ipods, iphones or ipad has where you can't do anything til there is a valid credit card # on the account,"  meaning your  credit card info wasn't on your XBox.  2.  If your card info was on your XBox, you cannot say "That way, parents can read the terms before they start playing online,"  without showing that you entered it and then still neglected to read the terms before they start playing online, as you yourself said you would.  So which is it?  As someone above pointed out to you, it was phished, again your fault for not monitoring your child after letting them loose on the internet.  

The internet/XBox console/Live is not a babysitter.  If you cannot police your child's actions on the Live service, Live's XBLPET will do it for you with the rest of the XBox community and my help.  

I pay good money to Microsoft in the form of yearly membership fees to keep children, children of children and adults that act like children away from me while I game.  I am glad that his account was suspended and hope he doesn't get it back until both he and his parents understand what kind of behavior is acceptable on the Live service.

Sorry this didn't help.

[

[quote user="iTz x IIII"]

Like how xbox tried to not admit that it isn't their fault that another kid hacking into my sons account and getting my cc info. They said that can't track down the user because we did what they said and got the account back.  And when the fraud department had a look at it, they could't do anything because we had the account. Maybe xbox needs to have a little better security. So thanks Mr. "KNOWITALL" for your input.

[/quote]It's not their fault it's yours.  Instead expecting better security on Xbox's side, maybe you should teach your child not to give his "friends" personal information such as the email address and password (which you, not him should have FULL control over).  There was no "hacking", your son was simply too trusting.  If you phoned Xbox support when this account breach occured, they could have investigated it, and prevented any further CC purchases. 

[quote user="iTz x IIII"]

My son got his XBox for his 10th birthday. He also got a prepaid 3 month Xbox live card. He filled in the info and agreed to the terms. But he is 10, he didn't read it...like most kids his age. He modded his avatar. Now, he is banned til 12/31/9999. I think he should be banned for a couple of months. But not for the rest of his life. You can't take something a 10 year old signs to court and it be upheld. Xbox should have like ipods, iphones or ipad has where you can't do anything til there is a valid credit card # on the account. That way, parents can read the terms before they start playing online. I don't understand how xbox can hold a 10 year old responsible for not reading their terms for xbox live, where they do nothing to actually the users age agreeing to it. His banned gamer tag is mort 2016.

[/quote]Okay, maybe a 10 year old kid isn't going to read an end user agreement, but YOU should have when you created his account (not let him create his own).  Ignorance of what was written is not an excuse.  Your son's account is your responsibility, not your sons.

Normally, I'd tell you to post in the Account Suspension Forums, but that would be futile, as you already know why he was banned.  All I can suggest now is create a new gamertag for your son, and take the loss of this account as a lesson learned.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hacking, cheating and modding is the biggest threat to online gaming as a whole. And ANYONE, regardless of age, who can and will mod their avatar, are giving a direct indication that they can, and most likely will, alter or attempt to alter the playing conditions of games. We see it all the time and it is RAMPANT on the PS3 network, which is free. We all PAY for XBL to have a gaming environment without these hackers, cheaters and modders; and while it is impossible to stop them all (and we do still see it on XBL as well), banning for life ANY person caught modding their system in ANY way is an absolute necessity.

Sorry this didn't help.

5.  Your Service account, associated accounts and accounts from third parties.

If you allow or enable a minor to use your Service account or an associated account, then:

You represent that you are the parent or legal guardian of each such minor;

You acknowledge that you are aware that some features of the Service, and some content available through the Service may contain or expose users to material that is unsuitable for minors, and you agree to supervise usage by minors whom you permit to use the Service. The Service is not intended for use by children under 13, except together with a parent or other adult supervision;

You acknowledge that we offer “Family Settings” on the Service and the Xbox 360 console, and also offer “Parental Controls” for Windows Vista and Windows 7, that are intended to help you limit access to material that may be unsuitable for minors.  By applying Family Settings to an associated account at sign-up, you may, among other things, help to prevent any user of an associated account from making additional purchases and from having access to voice and video chat, which is intended to diminish the ability of such user to communicate with other users.  You may view or revise your Family Settings in the “My Xbox” area of your Xbox 360 console, or by logging into your account on www.xbox.com.  Additional information about Family Settings is available at www.xbox.com; and

You are responsible for any material to which a user of your subscription either gains or is denied access (including as a result of your use or non-use of Family Settings or Parental Controls).   You acknowledge that use of Family Settings, Parental Controls, or both, is not a substitute for your personal supervision of your minor children or minors for whom you are the legal guardian.

If you use an associated account, you acknowledge that the holder of the Service account has full control over your associated account.  This control includes the right to end the Service, close or alter your associated account at any time, access and modify Family Settings for your associated account, and, in some cases, control purchasing options from your associated account and to request and receive device and Service usage information related to your associated account.  As an associated account user, this contract applies to your use of the Service, except for the following Sections: 5 (excluding this paragraph); 6; and 17.5.

XBL Terms of Service

If YOU had read the XBL Terms of Service you would have seen the above. As a parent you are responsible for your childs actions up until he is the age of 18 in most states in the United States and some countries.

You didn't think it odd that your child was moving his profile from the console to the pc and back again? ALL children under the age of 13 years should be monitored when they are using this or any online service.

Either way, the contract outlined above keeps MS from accepting any and all responsibility for your sons actions.

You should take a few moments to explain to him that what he did was not acceptable and that he will have to start all over again (should you choose to buy him more Live time to create another account) with everything since a permanent account suspension means he looses everything associated with that account including; Live time, ms points, gamer score, download content, and game saves. I hope it was worth it. Most people have alot of money invested in an account. What a shame.

It is nice to see MS uphold their contract regardless of the offenders age, race, religion, etc...not many companies do that these days. Good Job Microsoft!

Sorry this didn't help.