LOCKED - Free Gamertag change unavailable?

According to the FAQ located here, if you created your gamertag while you were signing up for Xbox LIVE, you can change it once for free. My gamertag was created during the set-up, after I bought my 360 off of a coworker, about a year and a half ago. I had to stretch my ethernet cable to the 360 to be able to sign up, which totally wasted the free month of gold, since the 360 couldn't stay hooked up where it could reach the cable. However, I just recently bought myself a wireless adapter, and noticed the above FAQ. However, when I followed the steps, my only option to change my gamertag was to pay (which I'm not willing to do). Is this something only relevant to accounts created after a certain date, or does it have to be done within a certain time frame? If so, this should probably be added to the FAQ, so that misunderstandings such as this do not repeat themselves.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 41 Applies to:

It only applies if you got a random gamertag  generated by the website created accounts. Choose your gamertag more wisely.

If your gamertag was created for you during Xbox LIVE signup,  for you not BY you that means randomly generated gamertag not user generated

." If your gamertag was created for you during Xbox LIVE signup, you can change the gamertag once for free. All other Xbox LIVE gamertag changes cost 800 Microsoft Points.

To change your Xbox LIVE gamertag

1. On your console, sign in using the Xbox LIVE gamertag that you want to change.
  2. Go to My Xbox, and select your gamertag.
  3. Select Change Gamertag.
    Note the Price of the change, and do one of the following:
  4. Select Enter New Gamertag.
  5. Select Get Suggestions to view possible gamertags.
  6. Once you enter or select a new gamertag, select Yes, use this gamertag.
Note Click Add Microsoft Points if you don’t have enough points to complete the purchase.

When you confirm your new gamertag, the change spreads across Xbox LIVE. You don’t need to tell your friends that you changed your gamertag—their friends list automatically updates"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Wow, rude much? I was forced to create a gamertag while setting up my system, before it would allow me to play the games I had purchased, even offline. Which is why I started randomly picking character names until something wasn't taken. If it is only for randomly generated gamertags, then it should read "if your gamertag was randomly generated for you". As I am not physically creating the account myself, only inputting data, the account is still being created for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can generate your own name that is not forced as it is your identidy no choosing your own name is not under that critiera.

you have to identify yourself you cannot not have a name online even creating a profile you must have a name on the HD

what you choose is your choice. what is created on the web is randomly generated therefore there was no choice given. You choosing your own name is your choice how you choose it is your choice you are given a box in which you can choose a name. if that name is taken you cannot be that same person as 2 same names cannot exist. It is upto you to choose.

a generated name is a name that the computer not you the computer gives you there is a difference between user generated name  is your own choosing or picking suggested names is the same as user generated names this is why you have to not just becareful of what you choose but also be creative in choosing. using numbers and letters can usually get the name you want . therefore doesn't qualify.

or a randomly generated name as it was not a choice with no input box and given by xbox live  therefore does qualify for a free name change

Sorry this didn't help.

Additionally the free gamertag change is available for 30 days  - so make sure to change it within that timeframe!

Sorry this didn't help.

" I was forced to create a gamertag while setting up my system, before it would allow me to play the games I had purchased, even offline. Which is why I started randomly picking character names until something wasn't taken. If it is only for randomly generated gamertags, then it should read "if your gamertag was randomly generated for you". As I am not physically creating the account myself, only inputting data, the account is still being created for me."

so inshort she doesn't get the name as she chose the name

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright, the issue has been addressed. There is no need to start a word-fight over this.

OP: To sum up free name changes are only for the randomly generated tags and can only be used within 30 days of the creation of the tag. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.