LOCKED: Can I get banned because of drive problem?

Hello.

This is my first post in this forum and I searched the forum, but couldn't find my answer, so here I post my question.

I have Xbox360 120GB Elite version (not slim).  Standard warranty is expired, but RROD warranty is up until Sep. 2012..

Some time ago after the standard warranry is expired, my drive got stuck. It won't completely open or close.
Tried number of tricks suggested here, but none worked.
Also, whenever I turn on the console, the center light blinks. I heard it happens when the console does not detect the drive.

That problem was not very serious for me because I don't play a lot and I mostly play market bought games.
I thought I don't need to repair it now paying $$$$ to MS, and didn't want other non-authorized repair while RROD warranty is left.

But one day, I heard if you turn on the xbox without drive attached, it will be logged and you might get banned.

I have NEVER opened the unit and the seal is intact. I just got broken drive and the unit might not be detecting the drive.

Then could I get banned because of this?
I don't think it's right for MS to ban people just because one got broken part but didn't repair, but still, MS might assume not detecting drive as some kind of hacking.

I'd appreciate if you can give me some answer.

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

[quote user="ksong1222"]Some time ago after the standard warranry is expired, my drive got stuck. It won't completely open or close.

Tried number of tricks suggested here, but none worked.[/quote]Did you try replacing the small square belt? It's a replacement that does not require opening the console or voiding the warranty.[quote]But one day, I heard if you turn on the xbox without drive attached, it will be logged and you might get banned.[/quote]Why? If the drive dies, it dies. Eject will stop working entirely. It becomes useful only for HDD-stored content.

Try replacing the small square belt. That may resolve your issues.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am not sure whether the belt would be the problem.

Even if I put some force on it, it won't move at all like something is locked inside.

When I turn on the box, the tray tries to move little bit, but that's it.

Also, I cannot really try to replace the belt even if I want to, because the tray is stuck at about 1/4, so there is no space I can pick into it.

And, well, I don't know whether MS will really ban because of something like this, but they say people hacking the drive connect SATA cable to PC, so leaving the unit power on without the drive connected.

Who knows whether MS will think this symptom as hacking attempt? I am kind of worried about this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Once the belt stretches out, the drive wheels don't "do" anything.

You can manually open and close the drive tray. It's not great for the mechanism, but you're only doing it to get to the belt. Flashlight and tweezers are necessary.

Sorry this didn't help.

There are no user-serviceable parts in the disc drive or inside the console, period. Performing the operation above is potentially damaging to your console, and could result in voiding the warranty. It is highly recommended you send it in for a repair. You can set one up here: myservice.xbox.com

Thread locked.

Sorry this didn't help.