LOCKED - Age Issues

Let me start off by saying that I am over 18. Definitely over 18. I am not a minor, but my birthday is my business so I will not elaborate as to what age I AM. I am, however, at the age when I am well within my rights to access all of the content on Xbox Live, Mature or otherwise. Now, when I first started my Xbox Live account, I may have accidentally put the wrong age information in. I don't recall why it happened, only that it probably did. Probably. Not definitely. When I called up Xbox Live support about this, the guy told me there was no way to change the age, but that I have nothing to worry about and won't be banned for it.

Now most people who post about age issues are talking about having entered too low an age and now they can't access anything because of the restrictions. In my case, I can access everything because the age I may have accidentally entered may have been too old. Not that I shouldn't be able to access everything anyway. I am old enough to do so anyway. But my age may still say that I am older than I really am.

I want to change my age because I'm afraid Microsoft will ban me, even though the guy on the phone said they wouldn't. Now I have officially bought stuff from Xbox Live AFTER this phone conversation. So as per American law, Microsoft has knowingly accepted money from somebody who might have inadvertently violated their terms. And by knowingly accepting money from me, they are saying that they are allowing me to get away with that. (If I did it. And I'm not saying I did.) Legally, they cannot turn around and ban me for this one reason, now that they have accepted money from me afterwards.

That being said, I'm still afraid of being banned. I don't have an audio recording of the man on the phone's response proving what I'm saying. So I couldn't prove in a court of law that they accepted money from me knowing that I *may* be in violation of the terms. And without that proof, Microsoft could still ban me and just lie in court and say they didn't know anything.

So, what I'm looking for is either a way to no longer be in violation of the terms (If I am, and I'm not saying I am, just that I MIGHT be.) Is there any way to indicate a different age than the one I started with? And if not, does Microsoft actually keep age on record? Or do they just check it initially to make sure you aren't a kid? And what are my chances of being banned for this thing I may have done accidentally?

I'm afraid if I continue to not worry about it and go on as I have, that I may some day get banned at random, after investing lots and lots more money into Xbox Live stuff like DLC. That wouldn't be fair at all. I don't deserve to lose all of that money over an accident that may have happened. But I've already spent a lot of money on this account as it is, so I don't want to start a new one either.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 194 Applies to:

5.  Your Service account, associated accounts and accounts from third parties.

Only you may use your Service account.  You must keep your accounts and passwords confidential and not authorize any third party to access or use the Service on your behalf unless we provide an approved mechanism for that. You must tell us right away if you suspect misuse of your accounts or any security breach in the Service. For some parts of the Service, you may be able to set up additional accounts that are dependent on your account ( “associated accounts”).  You’re responsible for all activity that takes place with your Service account and any associated accounts.  Except as otherwise stated in this Section 5, you may not authorize any third party to access and/or use the Service on your behalf, except where we provide a mechanism for third parties to access the Service on your behalf.  We may limit who may use your Service account or any associated accounts.

If you allow or enable a minor to use your Service account or an associated account, then:

* You represent that you are the parent or legal guardian of each such minor;

* You acknowledge that you are aware that some features of the Service, and some content available through the Service may contain or expose users to material that is unsuitable for minors, and you agree to supervise usage by minors whom you permit to use the Service. The Service is not intended for use by children under 13, except together with a parent or other adult supervision;

* You acknowledge that we offer “Family Settings” on the Service and the Xbox 360 console, and also offer “Parental Controls” for Windows Vista and Windows 7, that are intended to help you limit access to material that may be unsuitable for minors.  By applying Family Settings to an associated account at sign-up, you may, among other things, help to prevent any user of an associated account from making additional purchases and from having access to voice and video chat, which is intended to diminish the ability of such user to communicate with other users.  You may view or revise your Family Settings in the “My Xbox” area of your Xbox 360 console, or by logging into your account on www.xbox.com.  Additional information about Family Settings is available at www.xbox.com; and

* You are responsible for any material to which a user of your subscription either gains or is denied access (including as a result of your use or non-use of Family Settings or Parental Controls).   You acknowledge that use of Family Settings, Parental Controls, or both, is not a substitute for your personal supervision of your minor children or minors for whom you are the legal guardian.

If you use an associated account, you acknowledge that the holder of the Service account has full control over your associated account.  This control includes the right to end the Service, close or alter your associated account at any time, access and modify Family Settings for your associated account, and, in some cases, control purchasing options from your associated account and to request and receive device and Service usage information related to your associated account.  As an associated account user, this contract applies to your use of the Service, except for the following Sections: 5 (excluding this paragraph); 6; and 17.5.

as per the terms of use
http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Legal/livetou

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, so what does all of that mean? I read it but I don't see how this pertains to my concerns. That's about family settings. I'm not talking about an account for a little kid. Would you kindly elaborate on what this means for me?

Sorry this didn't help.

regardless how old you are you or your guardian are responcible for your own account regardless of the age you input into the xbox live account

guardian is reponcible if you are under 18

If this contract is with Microsoft Corporation, then claims for breach of this contract will be subject to the laws of the State of Washington, without reference to conflict of laws principles

btw recording phonecalls is illegal in washington unless both parties consent

and their quality control recording is authorized by you staying on the line

Sorry this didn't help.

That doesn't answer my question though. I'm not asking about who's responsible for my account. I'm asking if I'm going to get banned because my account MIGHT say I'm older than I am (and yes, I am over 18.)

Sorry this didn't help.

they keep your age on file

and if they do take action against you for misrepresentation

it would fall under this

Create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others;

i doubt it they will take action

xbox live only looks at if you are over 18 or under 18

anything above 18 doesn';t matter

Sorry this didn't help.

But I'm not in Washington. Why does their state's laws take priority over mine?

And I'm not trying to anticipate a court case here! I want to avoid one! That's why I'm asking all of this!

And I never said I was creating a false identity for the purpose of misleading others. I clearly stated that if I did it, (and I'm not saying I did), it was an accident.

Sorry this didn't help.

please refer to the terms of use

really thats where this is all listed

buit really you don't have to worry about it

because there is never been any age bans its usually more serious stuff

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope you're right. If I lost all of that money I invested into this account over an honest mistake, I don't know how to deal with something like that.

Could a mod please remove the first post? I really regret making this thread at all. Now I'm more worried.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you put in the wrong age, the only thing you can do is create a new account or wait for this account to reach 18 on its own. Those are the only options. You cannot edit an account's age at any time.

Sorry this didn't help.