LIVE connection error

Yesterday i was randomly kicked out of dark souls which happens from time to time as i am on my university's internet which can be pretty spotty, but this time i am not able to connect at all. In my network test my xbox is connected to the internet but i keeping a LIVE connection error. I've reset my console network settings, tried switching to wireless connection (from wired) and everything else the support page told me to do. Account is up to date and everything was working fine till yesterday at about this time.

Help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Dear Insanity:

Sounds like the local profile may be out of date or corrupted, and when a routine in Dark Souls asks for data from it, it causes the involuntary disconnection. I'd start by clearing the system cache (it's just temporary files plus game updates, automatically reloaded) by:

1) Please do Settings | System Settings | Storage

2) Move over any hard drive or memory unit (not the Cloud) & press (Y) on your controller & pick Clear System Cache.

3) When asked to confirm storage device maintenance, choose Yes.

Re-download

4) Tap the silver Xbox Guide button

5) Select Download Profile (and if you don't see it, press the blue X button to make sure you're not signed in) and proceed with Profile Download.

6) Enter the Microsoft Account addresse for your Xbox LIVE gamertag when asked.

7) Enter the password for the Microsoft Account.

7A) If your account is an Xbox LIVE child account, the parent’s Windows Live ID & password is required as well to download your profile.

8) Pick the storage device for your profile (choose Hard Drive if you have one, or Memory Unit if you don't have a Hard Drive).

9) When the download completes you will be asked if you want the console to remember your password. If it's your home console, I'd say yes, otherwise I'd think carefully about leaving my profile unprotected on somebody else's Xbox!

10) Sign in, and retry.

Should that not solve the problem, then collect the MAC address from your Xbox with Settings | System | Network | Wired or the name of the wireless connection | then Configure Network | Additional Settings | Advanced Settings | Alternate MAC Address | and the current MAC addresse will appear at left. Copy that down and then ask your University IT Department to 'whitelist' that addresse.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yea i don't know whats going on here, the night i posted this i turned on my xbox to do what you said and i was signed in to Live so i thought it just fixed itself, but just this morning i went to go watch some netflix and I'm having the same problem. I cleared the system cache (it took less then a few seconds i don't know if it's supposed to be that quick) and proceeded to download my profile again and it wouldn't let me because I'm not connected to live.

Any other suggestions guys?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend you follow Vibroplex's suggestion to double check that your University's IT contact has your Xbox's MAC address in the network whitelist. Live Connection Errors can occur when a public internet source is actively blocking suspicious addresses. This is common on the Xbox when connecting a a University or hotel.

Sorry this didn't help.