License Transfer ? (need to know)

1. I am thinking of buying a new console, do I need the transfer cable or can I just copy everything thing on a flash drive and do it online?

2. is it free to transfer license online?

3. will I only be transferring my DLC? Because there are multiple accounts on the one 360 and I just want to take my stuff without disabling the other accounts DLC (this is what I can't find out and would appreciate an answer)

I would love if the other people on the console will still be able to use their stuff, so am I just transferring the actual license to system to system or just my profile? I would hate if either of us would have to be online all the time just to use our separate content..

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

yes it's free to do a license transfer and you can transfer all of your content not just DLC :)

so the other profiles on the system that I'm leaving will still be able to use their DLC on their Console? and offline, not just online?

If you transfer the licenses to your new console that will remove them on the old console, they will no longer have access to it.

So they can't access their own stuff, not even offline? we both purchased things separate. it would make things difficult, how could they put the license back on theirs? all I want to do is transfer all my stuff on a new xbox 360 without causing trouble for the other profiles that have purchased stuff too, did Microsoft not think this far our?

ALL Dlc  is associated with the Profile that downloaded & paid for it.  If you have purchased a new console, then you need to do a license transfer(once a year thing) to access ALL dlc YOU own.

IF others bought stuff of their own, they can still access it.  They will not be able to access anything YOU dl & vice-versa. Unless on the same console & all profiles do a license transfer.

[quote user="Sivarius"]

So they can't access their own stuff, not even offline? we both purchased things separate. it would make things difficult, how could they put the license back on theirs? all I want to do is transfer all my stuff on a new xbox 360 without causing trouble for the other profiles that have purchased stuff too, did Microsoft not think this far our?[/quote]The license transfer moves the license for everything your profile bought to the new console. Everything bought with their profile(s) will remain.

A license transfer is an all or nothing deal, you can transfer individual items.

So if you both bought things on your profile, then you have a choice as to whether leave the license on the old console which will enable it for use there but will mean you will always need top be online on your console. 

Thank you lady moonshadow and voteDC for the info, at least I know I am able to do it now. Just had to make sure.

I bought a new console, left all my games on my old console and my son can play them all. The license transfer means he can't dl the content again, but if it's already there. Plus I can go in his room, log on myself and dl anything I want on that console. He can then play it. No different from letting a friend play your game. I install all the games I buy for my son on my console and have the licenses anyway. I may be wrong, but it's never caused me any problems. Well, we can't play at the same time unless we have 2 copies, but that's not your issue.

That is how the licensing works Metal and is very much worth mentioning.

When you buy most content you are given two licenses. One for your gamertag and one for the first console it was downloaded to.

Now the gamertag license lets you you that content on any console but on anything other than the first you will need to remain signed into Live.

The console license lets any profile on that first console play the content whether they are online or offline.

What the license transfer does is move the console license, essentially making the content believe the new console was the first it was downloaded to. 

This FAQ will provide some more info on DRM and License Transfer.

-Jim