LED/LCD TV help!

Ok so can someone settle this for me please.
One of my mates says get an lcd tc and the other says LED's the future.

Which is better?

I've got money ready to buy a yv. 32"-37" is about all i can get. Just want one that doesn't ghost all the time like my old Samsung and be full HD

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

LED is LCD. LED is a type or way of backlighting an LCD display. Rather than the typical CCFL edge lighting, LEDs are used. There are two types of LED lighting... One type lights the edges of the screen just like standard LCD displays, while the other uses local dimming, which lights the entire screen, but areas can be completely shut off to produce better contrast & black levels. Local dimming is more expensive, but produces an overall better picture. One downside is that you can get halos around bright objects moreso than with traditional LCD sets.

If you're strictly talking about which tech is the future tech, it's LED, and simply for it's power savings. Manufacturers will have to move to strictly LED displays in order to keep up with Energy Star requirements in years to come. Mind you I echo OG Pooh on everything he said about LED/LCD and that they are in fact variations of the same system.

Depending on the design of the display though there can be a LED matrix behind for back lighting which is way better than LED edge diffusive and completely eclipses CCFL back lighting. Contrast is better as well as backlight bleeding which can be very apparent depending on the display.

Eventually OLED or sets where every sub pixel is an individual addressable LED is the future, but the only consumer sets you can buy are 2-3x what a high end LCD costs and the sizes are still fairly small.

Ok guys thanks.

So any recommendations of which LED tv to get?

[quote user="Luc1fer Ris1ng"]

Ok guys thanks.

So any recommendations of which LED tv to get?

[/quote]

That's simple, the best one that falls within your price range. Weigh things like inputs, picture quality, warranty, etc. I'd advise you to do research online on models you're considering rather than looking at TVs in stores. Most stores have their TVs in "Store Mode" which makes for an awful, and awfully bright "vivid" picture. Some boutique will displays TVs on their Standard setting, which is better but not ideal. Another thing that's important is to ignore specifications. Things like refresh rate, response time, contrast ratio, etc. are all basically meaningless. The refresh rate can be somewhat useful but most displays will likely be equal given equivalent price points.

Quite simply, I would look for the most natural picture. If you want my opinion (and that of many consumers, reviewers & other experts), that means Sony. A lot of people will also direct you to Samsung, which IMHO is probably the second best choice. Chosing displays isn't really as open to personal taste as something like audio equipment. The picture is either accurate or it isn't. Having personally evaluated many sets over the years, as far as LCD displays go, I haven't seen any that come as close (out of the box) to natural as Sony. All that said, I echo Silent Paradigm in saying weigh any set's cost against what you personally need as far as features are concerned and what level of performance you're comfortable with at that price point. There are less expensive brands that perform very well. You may want to check dedicated forums though, to see if there are common complaints about any particular model you're looking at. The forums at Sound & Vision Magazine used to be great, but everybody seems to have left there for some reason.

I just want one that doesn't have any ghosting and is at least 60hz

My old Samsung had loads of ghosting and i hated playing fallout/oblivion because it just looked so bad!

I've been looking at tvs for ages and i can't find one that is really good for gaming. Which is all i'll be using it for mainly

You won't find a LCD TV in North America that displays at less than 60Hz natively. I have a 55" 120Hz LCD and I still notice some ghosting on it. I don't have this problem with my 50" plasma display, both from the same manufacturer (the plasma is 2 years older). It's hard to find plasmas in the size that you're looking for, if not impossible.

What's your budget for this display?

With plasma, you will have to worry about burn-in, especially if all you're going to use the set for is gaming. Plasmas are harder to burn-in than they used to be, but the issue will never completely go away. as it is inherent of the technology. If all you're going to do is game, the chances that it will burn-in, especially within the first hundred hours or so, is a risk worth taking into consideration. The chances that an LCD will burn-in are about the same as the image of your face burning-in to your bathroom mirror. It ain't gonna happen, as LCD can't burn-in. Like Silent Paradigm said... What's your budget?

[quote user="OG Pooh"]The chances that an LCD will burn-in are about the same as the image of your face burning-in to your bathroom mirror. It ain't gonna happen, as LCD can't burn-in.[/quote]In theory this is 100% correct, but I have seen differently in some real world cases. I once had to service a customer's TV after they complained about "ghost images" on their LCD. Needless to say I was skeptical, but sure enough when I examined the display that was the issue, or something resembling the same effects. It was a LG LCD from maybe 18 months ago. It would retain a ghost image of something displayed on the screen for just seconds even (e.g. a TV guide). Now that display was defective, but it isn't entirely true to say that LCDs cannot suffer from burn-in. 

As an aside, it seems that the OP has abandoned this thread so I'm not sure that this or future posts will be of any use. :S