LCD TV problem

I'm going to start by saying that I KNOW I lack technical terms. I'm going to try and convey my problem as best I can, but sorry in advance for using terms like 'smoothness' if they don't actually belong.

I recently bought a TV from a friend. It's a fairly recent Sanyo LCD. It goes up to 1080p, at 60 hertz. It's a fairly decent size, but nothing gargantuan. But when I played games or movies on it, they looked no better then a standard television.

What I was expecting was that incredibly fluid picture that I see on show rooms at the TV display in stores. I know those are running Bluray movies off a Bluray player. I have an older Xbox 360, so my only choice for HD was a component cable. I had to track down the old cord with the SD/HD switch on it, because Microsoft for some reason decided to start selling SD only component cables >.> but I set it to HD, configured the picture to 1080p, and put a game in.

Nothing. No improvement whatsoever. Still jagged edges and still the same transitions. It wasn't smooth like the movies at the store.

But my brother just got home from a friends where he was playing Crysis 2 on a PS3, on a big HD LCD screen, and he said it was IDENTICAL to the Bluray display at the store.

What am I doing wrong? Is there anything I could try to get that result. Keep in mind I cannot use HDMI, I can only use a HD component cable.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

First, make sure you're using the best 'format' (many HD TVs have multiple, Movie, Sports, Theater, etc, I've not seen a Gaming on any of the ones I've owned, but Widescreen works awesomely on mine).

-

Are you using component connections (a good Xbox one can be bought here: www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_sim_vg_1)? This is the red, green and blue if I remember correctly, use it in conjunction with the composite (red, yellow and white). This will help slightly since you cannot use HDMI.

-

Also, your TV won't look perfect, you'll have to tweak the settings, play with them, see if you can find a good balance. I'll grab my settings and share them with you when I get the chance.

-

Bare in mind, I'm far from an Expert on HD TVs, other than the one I have, all sets can be slightly different.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there that particular cable your using only allows for you to get 1080i so try changing the display setting to that and see if that is any better.

If you want to play your games in full HD 1080p you are going to need to use a proper HDMI cable

Sorry this didn't help.

I was assured the cable would give me 1080p, and it's been set to it in the Display menu. It's the red/green/blue/red/yellow/white.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you would need an HDMI cable to get a perfectly clear picture. I have a LED tv, and it looks great when I'm using an HDMI cable, however, if I switch over to a composite cable it looks a lot less smooth and clear.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="EasyAs XD"]I recently bought a TV from a friend. It's a fairly recent Sanyo LCD.[/quote]Can you provide the exact model number?[quote] It goes up to 1080p, at 60 hertz.[/quote]Unfortunately, most TVs don't do 1080p over Component. Not saying yours doesn't, but with the exact model number we can check.[quote]I have an older Xbox 360, so my only choice for HD was a component cable. I had to track down the old cord with the SD/HD switch on it, because Microsoft for some reason decided to start selling SD only component cables >.>[/quote]They still sell a Component cable. It's now black and seems to only output Component.[quote]But my brother just got home from a friends where he was playing Crysis 2 on a PS3, on a big HD LCD screen, and he said it was IDENTICAL to the Bluray display at the store.[/quote]Eh. PS3 games are on Blu-ray, but that has little impact on what the game looks like.[quote]What am I doing wrong? Is there anything I could try to get that result[/quote]Your TV should have the ability to show you the current display format. Check to see what it is reporting. If it is displaying 480i or 480p, then the 360 is still outputting SD.

When you attached the cable to the TV, you only attached the red/green/blue and red/white cabling, correct? The yellow cable should not be plugged in.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah im almost certain that 1080i is the best your going to get with your cable maybe changing it to that in your display settings will improve it.

I remember i had to buy the HDMI cable before i could get 1080p and i also believe that the hdmi ports are only on some of the newer xbox 360

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="andykod77"]Yeah im almost certain that 1080i is the best your going to get with your cable[/quote]Wrong. The Component cable supports up to 1080p. The display device may not support 1080p, but the cable does.[quote]i also believe that the hdmi ports are only on some of the newer xbox 360[/quote]If by "newer" you mean since mid-2007. HDMI was introduced with the Elite, then added to all 360 models later that year.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would also download the TV manual from Sanyo's official website, and see if you are putting the plugs in the correct sockets on the TV, the manual might tell you how high a resolution your TV can go up to with the component cables.

Xbox Ambassador.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've read over all of the posts (sorry for the delay) but yes, it is plugged in with red/green/blue, and just the red/white, not yellow. It shows the display mode when I change imput, and when I turn the Xbox on, it gives me 1080p, 60hertz. It is a Sanyo LCD40XR11F.

Sorry this didn't help.

@icestorm im only going on my own and friends experience but we could not get 1080p thru our xbox by using the component cables ,the best we could achieve was 1080i and i still believe thats the best the op is going to get too,unless you can show him otherwise be my guest.

Sorry this didn't help.