LAGGING HELP

my xbox is a few rooms away from my modem i am suffering from severe lagging ,what i need to know is do i need a signal booster or a signal repeater????

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

my friend had a similar problem and it was his tv stand causing it so make sure nothing is blocking your wireless signal in anyway at all and if that doesnt fix it try moving your xbxo as close as you can to your modem

What Internet Server providing you're using? If Virgin Medias Super Hub, try to avoid wi-fi it's awful. Otherwise Ethernet connections it works super fast.

cant get it anycloser iv already switched to a closer room, im on sky which i think has the lowest speed but every now and then will go realy well so it must have potential

Hardwire it with a long ethernet cable. I use a 20m (65 feet) cable and have no lag what so ever.

Hi there.  What kind of signal strength does your console report when you check your connection under networking settings?

If the signal is strong but you've still got lag, you could try changing your routers wireless channel.  If the signal is weak, you could purchase a Wireless range extender like this one from Belkin.

I know you've said you were 'thick', but don't be too hard on yourself, networking isn't for the feint of heart. But, if your after an extender, that one is highly recommended because it's very (and I mean very) easy to set up. 

im trying to improve it without wires , the signal strength is mostly excelent but my modem is supposed to find the best channel itself(its sky's own) so i dont think i need to, thanks for the link that looks good.

If there are a number of wireless networks around you from surrounding houses/flats then try logging into your router and changing the wireless channel. The new channel may be less congested (and thus less subject to interference).  Otherwise, Sky do sell a Wireless N router which would carry the signal further for about £30. Other options include powerline adaptors (which use your home electrical wiring) or a wireless repeater (which you put somewhere in you house that has a good signal and it projects it on). Search for both of them on Amazon and you'll see plenty of choice.

[quote user="shanekelly72"]

cant get it anycloser iv already switched to a closer room, im on sky which i think has the lowest speed but every now and then will go realy well so it must have potential

[/quote]

There is your problem right there. Your on Sky get rid of them they are crap. I keep getting offers for Sky Broadband because I have Sky+ but I keep turning them down as why the hell would I want to go from the 90Mbs download speed I can get from Virgin Media to the 4 or 5Mbs speeds I would get with Sky. Also my sister is with Sky and she is constantly having bother with them.

-

There isn't much wrong with Virgin's wi-fi. The 100Mbs hub I have works pretty well.

-

If you are still having bother my I suggest getting an ethernet cable and hooking your 360 straight into your modem. I run my PC and 360 via two 20 meter ethernet cables as I have awful trouble receiving wi-fi in my bedroom.

switched to virgin and much happier now thanks

Try putting an antenna into your cable modem,  take advantage of free internet.