Kingdom of Amalur - any good?

First - I love rpg's. I liked fable 1, 2 was ok and 3 was crap.

Secound - I am a final fantasy fan - luv jrpg's.

Third - I enjoyed Mass Effect 1, 2 was just ok, 3rd i aint interested in.

So what i am saying i like western rpg's and jrpg's. Skyrim was boring & repatitive, Fable 3 was rubbish and from the video of KOA it looks like Fable 3.

What is it like? how does it play? is game big or small?

Final fantasy XIII-2 is spent on nearly 130 hours, and ive just re-bought FFXIII. Will i spend that ammount of hours in KOA?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Well before its release it appeared to be a ....Marmite....kind of game, but since its release, have heard only good things from the regulars here, its getting glowing reviews from the gaming media...so could be worth a punt if you like RPG's with a refreshing feel

It depends what you want from an RPG, I'm enjoying it but it isn't holding my attention as strongly as more story/character focussed RPGs do, I start getting bored if I spent too much time away from the main quest (where as in something like TES I'd more or less avoid the main quest completely (not that TES are very story/character focussed either)).

It's main draw is that it has good combat and a reasonably good set of RPG systems with loot and levelling up and such.

But it suffers from a lot of the issues your standard clichéd RPG suffers from, of course if you like your standard clichéd RPG that isn't too much of an issue.

Try the demo maybe?

(And I don't think you'll get 130 hours out of it, though I guess if you did everything it might last that long, hard to tell at this point)

I'm enjoying it. It's a bit like Fable in my opinion but maybe not as Jokey/Humorous. I do find myself doing more of the sidequests. Good game though I'd recommend it.

[quote user="UseYourIlusion"]

It depends what you want from an RPG, I'm enjoying it but it isn't holding my attention as strongly as more story/character focussed RPGs do, I start getting bored if I spent too much time away from the main quest (where as in something like TES I'd more or less avoid the main quest completely (not that TES are very story/character focussed either)).

It's main draw is that it has good combat and a reasonably good set of RPG systems with loot and levelling up and such.

But it suffers from a lot of the issues your standard clichéd RPG suffers from, of course if you like your standard clichéd RPG that isn't too much of an issue.

Try the demo maybe?

(And I don't think you'll get 130 hours out of it, though I guess if you did everything it might last that long, hard to tell at this point)

[/quote]

The above pretty much says it all,  it is hugely enjoyable and immensely easy to play, but it does seem to lack a certain something I jus cant put my finger on,  I have about 40 hours in and enjoying it very much.   But it not a game that keeps me playing long after I should of turned of the XBOX and gone to bed.  Im just not as involved in my character as i have been with other RPG's.  The world is cool but its too much like a funneling system rather than an open Skyrim type world for me.   Its worth full price but if you can get it cheaper its a must play.

Skyrim just hides it's "funneling" better. =P

This game is amazing.

It's the best fantasy RPG to be released since the Elder Scrolls series and is unique enough to stand on it's own 2 feet.

It can be as deep or as shallow as you want it to be.

You want to bathe in the lore you can chat for ages with characters and read the books.  It's not disposeable lore like "Dragon Age" either.  If you'd rather just hit and zap people just read the "blue bits" as they relate to the quests.

This is a beautiful full world that's chock full of "Kodak Moments" that leave you wanting to take a picture of your character and the background behind them.

Check out the demo if you need to but almost everyone who plays is loving this game is loving it.

And when you become the Arch-Sage just wait until you get to feed your pets!

Az

@MetalGearFloppy re "funneling"

No I cant agree with that, after having walked pretty much every inch that the Skyrmi map had to offer,   There are so many times on KOA when you are litterally in a corrider desguised as an "open" environment,  and you cant deviate from the path by more than a few feet.   Similarly it annoying when you want to step down from a foot high platform but cant and have to run to the nearest ramp,   

[quote user="Genchy"]

Similarly it annoying when you want to step down from a foot high platform but cant and have to run to the nearest ramp,   

[/quote]

At least the game is designed to account for it's limitations. Climbing up some of the ascents in Skyrim makes me feel ill because of how bad the physics system is, and how much you jolt about when you're about at the limit of what you can climb. And all those freaking mountains do funnel you a reasonable amount, if obviously not as much as games like KoA or Fable.

I'd certainly recommend it, but if you're not a fan of Western RPGs then I'm not sure that you're going to enjoy it. But the, there's a demo on marketplace, so it'd be worth you checking that out. Bare in mind the demo is based upon a old code for the game, so there's some glitches in it.

-------------------------------

It's a great game, though not  blow-your-mind downright awesome game. It has flaws, but it also has a lot of strenghts. The combat system is slick and brutal, though it's more wide than deep. The world doesn't sell itself as a believable place like Skyrim, but then, as Az said, the lore helps make up for this. There's bloody loads of loot, so if you're like me then that should sell you right there. Main quest story is okay: takes a bit to get going, but once it does it's enjoyable enough. There's absolutely loads of side-quests, most of which are nice and bite-sized.

------------------------------

So yes, I'd recommend it.