Kinect vs Kinect: Why Xbox 360 Kinect is better?

A lot is being said about the mandatory Kinect ownership in Xbox One. And why Microsoft doens't sell the Xbox One without the Kinect.

But there is something nobody seems to notice. The old Kinect works best than his new, and alleged improved, version.

First of all; the new Kinect requires less space than the old one. It's true. But, the new one has a problem that has been affecting almost all new Kinects I tested. For some reason, it doenst work for games. The game is paused and ask us to remove the object in front of us, because this "object" is blocking the view. But, there is nothing there. In my case, this problem occur in the same space I've been using for Xbox 360 Kinect's since its launch. The troubleshooting process doenst do any good in this case.

The new Kinect has earing problems. In the same conditions of the old Kinect, it requires a lot more volume in your voice to work. If it work at all! Once again, the troubleshooting doenst seem to fix this. The "turn on" command is definitelly broke. It work only half of the time.

Sure it can detect your fingers, all five of them. But, why the dashboard use is so terrible projected? I really dont think the people involved in the new Kinect project has used the old Kinect and all his games. Its way more easier to control the dashboard in the Xbox 360. And that's not the best use of hand gestures. Just put the "Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012" in the disc tray and fo a work around in the game menu. That is a proper way of using hand gestures to control a menu. Fast, precise, intuitive.

Besides the earing problem, the new Kinect has memory issues. Even 5 months after its release, it has a hard time recognize me. And, if you have more than one profile logged in your Xbox One, there is a chance it will confuse you with someone else. Doenst matter if is a old person with a new one, tall with a short one, male/female... it got confused. A LOTt.S.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 40 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

While I don't generally agree with you, I do believe that the voice commands for the Xbox 360's version of Kinect were more consistent (not in how often it worked, but rather with how the commands were phrased) with its dashboard and easier to use.

Sounds like your Kinect is poorly calibrated.

The old Kinect requires 1.8m distance. The new one requires 1.4m.

There are vastly more voice commands and mine work 90% if not 95% of the time. The only issues I have are when using Xbox Record That in a loud game.

Xbox On works fine but you need a quiet environment.

Mine recognises me fine (except with contacts in), and rarely confuses me if another profile is signed in.

You obviously need to recalibrate your Kinect.

@Virtual Duck

I think there are a lot of variable that determine how well the Kinect voice commands work for each of us.

I've re-calibrated probably 2 dozen times and I'm falling in the 50 to 70 percent success range with voice commands. "Xbox On" I'm closer to a 20 percent success rate.

My Kinect is in a room with a vaulted ceiling, wood floors and is very open. Is there some echo effect that's impacting my performance? Who knows.

If I'm speaking on the phone in the room with my Kinect it seems to recognize my  voice much better only it's doing things I didn't intend for it to do ( I've seen the "help" screen dozens of times and never once intentional).

It's frustrating when it becomes something that's more of a nuisance then some high tech innovation fro many of us.

I've only spent a couple of minutes with the Xbox 360 Kinect, so I don't think I can contribute anything there. My Kinect listens to me just fine and I rarely have to repeat myself, but it's a totally different story with my missus. Although the "Xbox, turn off" feature seems to work pretty well for her when I'm playing. 

My Kinect recognizes me fine... but my wife it only recognizes her b-u-t-t. True story. Try recalibrating but this time turn the volume up to an almost uncomfortable level and when the system tells you the sound is too high recalibrate again (turning the volume down a notch at a time) until the systems tells you it was successful. This worked for me.

I agree its about as useless as the first one, could of just had the voice commands through a mic in the controller.

You're right 6 ft. - they could have done that. However, I think they made the right choice because if they had done that, your controller would be much heavier (likely uncomfortably so) and the audio pick-up would also likely suffer because they would have to cram all of the audio components into it. So, sure the Kinect may not be as good as it could potentially be, but putting it into the controller? I can assure you, that would've been far worse.

i wanna know can you use xbox 360 kinect unstay of xbox one kinect?

First to answer your question No you can not.

Second this post is 4 years old.

First to answer your question No you can not.

Second this post is 4 years old.

ZOMBIE POST!!!! ZOMBIE POST ON THE LOOSE, QUICK KILL IT BEFORE IT INFECTS OTHERS!!!! :D