Kinect Replacement - A complaint that needs a response.

Hello, this is a rather long and complicated issue, so please bare with me. 

I recently had the issue with my new Xbox One Kinect stating that it is unplugged. I went on to the repair website to set up an exchange. On the repair screen you are given two options, one for the advanced exchange and one for standard. I've taken a screenshot to illustrate this  

(http://i.imgur.com/iXonCPh.png)

- as you can see, the assocaited charge next to the Advanced Repair is £0.00. I selected this option and went to the next screen, on which it informs you it will put a hold on your card for £116.40. With it being Christmas, and already having spent a lot of money on family presents and the Xbox I needed access to my funds, and this hold wasn't really convenient for me, so I decided to cancel this and set up a standard order instead. I went back to the main repair screen and set up a standard replacement.

However, upon checking my internet banking, I noticed a hold had already been placed on the £116.40 just by progressing past the initial screen I have taken an image of here. I hadn't confirmed the order, or agreed to having that money taken from my account, but it had been. I contacted the online chat support who informed me that this was indeed an error, that no repair ID had been created but money had been put on hold. I was informed that the advisor Adriana (who was extremely helpful and pleasant) had escalated the issue to the Advocacy Team on high priority, and that I'd be contacted about it to get the money un-held within 48 hours. This was on the 12th of December, and I've yet to hear from the advocacy team. The reference number for this is: [Mod Removed]

I've sinced managed to reverse the holding of my funds via a long conversation with my bank, charged at mobile rate for around half an hour. Additionally, using the standard replacement option I've had further cost to my own expense for packaging materials. I tried to bring my complaint to the chat advisors today, and met one very helpful advisor called Leen, though at one point she stopped replying for an hour and I had to deal with another member, who was far less helpful and didn't listen to my concern. In total I've spent about 5 hours on the online chat, half an hour on the phone to the bank and spent a fair amount of money on my phone bill and packaging to sort out an issue I should NOT have on a £430 console two days into its use. 

Microsoft had no right to put £116.40 on hold before fully informing me of the amount that was to be charged, and then further allowing me to confirm that order. I should also have been contacted within the 48 hours as promised, because you had £116.40 of my money for a Kinect you could never physically receive, as you would never have sent me out a unit due to a repair not being created. If it weren't for my bank being so helpful, the money would have been fully debited from my account in 6 days when the 15 day cut off period was reached. 

I am seeking some form of compensation for my time, money and frustration spent on this issue. Due to the poor turn around time of the Kinect standard replacement (which is based outside of my country) I will not be able to receive my Kinect until the New Year, which also means my use of the Console is severely limited (is there even a way to use the game DVR without voice command!?). Other users that have had hardware issues have been receiving copies of games, but all I'm getting is more frustration and a noticeable lack of help. I also would hope that the repair website is updated, and that people's cards are only put on a charge 'hold' after they've seen the amount that will be held, and after confirming they're okay with this. I think this is a very serious issue, especially considering the previous screen gives no indication of the value being taken.

Please contact me via personal message if you want to email me or call me directly, and have a nice holiday.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

im in Australia and going through the same *** ive had 2 complete units power failed and disk problem on number 2 now the Kinect fault been waiting 5 weeks and still none the wiser all I get is its been sent to the higher possible depts. by 2 mangers and its still going no where

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a similar issue.  I was told I was emailed a shipping label but they spelled it wrong.  I have been talking to them daily for the past week trying to get another shipping label and they keep changing their answer!  Fed ex!  Ups!  Ive been escalated, somebody will call me, etc.  NOBODY CAN HELP ME get this fixed!!!!   I paid over $500 for a machine that's less than 2 months old and its like they are intentionally giving me the runaround.   Its simply unbelieveable.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue with my kinect, I put in my service order for a new one feb 12th and am still waiting to hear from the advocacy team... I contacted customer support after waiting for ten days and only seeing "order in progress" to complain about the ridiculous amount of time it has already taken. It's now feb 27th, two weeks since I put in my order and I haven't heard anything from anyone. Still waiting on an email from the advocacy team and wondering why it takes two weeks to put a shipping label on a box with a kinect in it and send it to me... extremely frustrated with not being able to impress anyone without the kinect on my console. I doubt you'll get any kind of compensation, good luck with that.

Sorry this didn't help.