Kinect on a desk... too close?

I haven't owned an Xbox 360 in years and I'm considering picking one up again so that I can hold onto the Halo series and other games for years to come.  I'm considering picking up the Kinect version so that I can use the Kinect with my PC for head tracking in games like Dirt 3.  

My question is, obviously the Kinect is designed for couch users, but I'm a desk user and always have been.  Is the field of view too small on the Kinect to use it on a desk?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I don't see why it should be a problem. The settings can be optimized for use in an office, granted it's a decent size and you actually have the room to move around. As for distance and everything, as long as you have about (from my experience) 3 steps back from the camera, it should be able to track your motion properly. Also, much like the Wii, you can optimize the setting for if you have the camera resting from a high location or a low location.

Hope this helps and best of luck. Kinect is alot of fun!

Oh, well I don't plan on stepping back, I want it to be able to track my movements while I'm sitting normally.  Thanks for the recommendation, though.

[quote user="Phantom MP7"]

Oh, well I don't plan on stepping back, I want it to be able to track my movements while I'm sitting normally.  Thanks for the recommendation, though.

[/quote]

I re-read your OP and am hoping to clarify what you are wanting from the Kinect. Are you looking for it to play games with or as a facial recognition to add yourself into a game as a personalized character??

The Nyko Zoom may fix the distance dilemma.........   You still need to be positioned a few feet back though.    The first gen Kinect is not much more than a novelty IMO.   GOOD LUCK with your purchase.