Keep getting disconnected from Xbox Live.

I have an older Xbox 360 that I recently aquired a network adapter and an HDD external hard drive for gaming. For the first few months everything worked fine until I was playing Halo Reach online. I was getting messages saying that my NAT settings were set to moderate so I went online and followed the steps to change the settings to open, after that things started going bad. I can sign on fine and play games online and watch movies on Netflix but after ten to twenty minutes I get disconnected and have to sign back in. It happens in the middle of games and movies but it is never the same amount of time, some times I won't get disconnected for an hour or more and other times I'll get kicked after just starting a game. I can sign right back on with no problem but it makes me not even try to play online anymore and it's causing problems with Netflix too. It's really frustrating me and I have seen similar posts about it here which makes me think that it is a pretty common problem. I am very close to just taking my Xbox and all the accessories and games to Gamestop and trading everything for a PS3. I don't even care if their network was hacked and I won't be able to play certain games like Halo and Left 4 Dead anymore. I have spent so much time going back and forth with the router site and trying the connection on the Xbox and my frustration level can only take so much.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? United States, Michigan
Modem brand & model number: **** TM502G
Router brand & model number: Wireless-G Broadband Router WRTU54G-TM it also came from T-Mobile if that makes a difference
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired Wired
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? WPA2 Personal
Things you have tried: Restoring default system settings and resetting internet connection, resetting the router, turning port forwarding on and off.
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown Yes
Is NAT Type Open? Yes
Any Error Codes you encounter: W:  0000 - 0021 X: 0000 - F001 Y: 20A8 - 4860 Z: 8015 - 1918 ID: 0007 - 0002

What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? Cable
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? WOW
When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen? Your NAT type is Moderate. People on networks with this NAT type may not be able to join certain games or hear other people while playing online. For the best online experience, you need an open NAT configuration.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

If you can do try plugging your console straight into your cable modem (not through the wireless router) this will hopefully give us a better idea of whether it's a connection issue or a setup issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I would hard reset everything you have, (router,xbox, modem.) then turn everything back on and l re-open all the ports that need be.  Ports 3074, 88, 80. Then try what evil said and try plugging  your xbox right into your modem. If that helps out,. you might need to have a new router.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have reset the router several times already, the modem isn't even six months old and I restored the Xbox to factory settings before if thats what you mean. I ran an ethernet cable to the router today and it worked fine, I was able to play online with no problem and watch movies on Netflix without being disconnected once. The problem with running the system that way is that the router is in the living room and the Xbox is kept in my room so I can't run a cable from the router or the modem to the Xbox even if I have one long enough without it being in the way or drilling holes through the walls. I don't want to just leave the Xbox in the living room either because I have an HD tv in my room while the one in the living room isn't. I also like to play my games or watch Netflix in my room because I spend more of my time there and everyone has to share the living room and whatever game system is on it. If there is no way to fix the problem so that I can play wirelessly then I'm going to have to say goodbye to Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your router now seems to be the problem, I know there is a list of routers that they have listed to work without any problems. I will post the link, I hate to tell you this, but you might just have to buy a new router. But here is the link for the routers.

support.xbox.com/.../network-hardware-compatible-xbox-live.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

The router didn't always have this problem though. When I first set up the internet connection with the Xbox it worked fine. I never had a problem until I tried fixing the NAT problem. I saw several routers that were close to my model on the link but not the exact same one. It just doesn't make sense that if the router is at fault why it would work fine for the first couple months and then just stop.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey mate, it sounds like the NAT issue might not have been resolved properly, as you're still encountering an error message regarding NAT when you run the connection test. Did you follow these steps exactly? If not, please do so now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I finally solved the problem, I traded in my 360 and all the games I had for a brand new ps3 and I have had no problems at all with my connection.

Sorry this didn't help.