Just some general newbie stuff

Prior to this summer, my plan was to buy a PS3. This changed due to multiple things, including something I won't mention that everyone knows well about, that made international headlines, months ago. Plus, little whispers from friends convinced me, the 360 was the right choice for me.

Now, I do have some questions. First, I was thinking about getting a wired controller, but someone I talked to made this off-hand comment that I'll "have to replace it within a year because the plug wears out too fast." Is that an issue? I could see there being a problem if you plug-in and unplug something a lot, but if it's left plugged-in, I fail to see it wearing out, unless it's made from a decaying material.

Next, I've installed my games, as to save wear and tear on the disc drive. The less the motor has to spin, the longer it will last. Though, it doesn't seem to have lessened loading times. For the most part, they're not all that long to begin with, but it's something I thought I would mention, anyway.

Lastly, I'm looking for some good Fable-type action RPG's. I know there's Fable 2 and III, but I'd like to know what else there is. Last generation, I loved both installments of Fable (regular and TLC), Jade Empire, and as bad as it makes my taste in games look, I really liked Sudeki. I do have Morrowind, and am familiar with Oblivion, and the upcoming Skyrim.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.

Anyway, I've had zero regrets since purchasing my 360...well, no. Not quite. I regret that I didn't buy one some years back! Though, there is peace of mind, knowing the "red ring of death" issue has long-been resolved. My household is a two-360 household. My brother plays on one, and I play on the other. Yeah. It's pretty hardcore. I've gone through quite a bit of batteries. No, there's nothing wrong with my controller; I just have played that much. I expect the competition's online store will go bankrupt since my move to the 360. No longer is my PSP the "only up-to-date system" in my home. Sorry, but I cannot justify paying $170 for a handheld regardless of its tru-3D feature.

So, that's that. I'm a novice-level gamer, but if anyone feels like playing any games together, just drop me a message or friend me or somethin'. I don't really do any tuning in racing games, so I wouldn't be much in the line of competition in Forza 4 or any of my racing games.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

[quote user="Bonemeal PhD"]First, I was thinking about getting a wired controller, but someone I talked to made this off-hand comment that I'll "have to replace it within a year because the plug wears out too fast." Is that an issue? I could see there being a problem if you plug-in and unplug something a lot, but if it's left plugged-in, I fail to see it wearing out, unless it's made from a decaying material.[/quote]I have a wired controller I use for my PC and I've had no issues whatsoever. I've never heard of an issue with the plug "wearing out too fast."[quote]Next, I've installed my games, as to save wear and tear on the disc drive. The less the motor has to spin, the longer it will last. Though, it doesn't seem to have lessened loading times. For the most part, they're not all that long to begin with, but it's something I thought I would mention, anyway.[/quote]For some games, it will lessen loading times. For others, usually older released titles, it may not seem noticeable.[quote]Lastly, I'm looking for some good Fable-type action RPG's. I know there's Fable 2 and III, but I'd like to know what else there is. Last generation, I loved both installments of Fable (regular and TLC), Jade Empire, and as bad as it makes my taste in games look, I really liked Sudeki. I do have Morrowind, and am familiar with Oblivion, and the upcoming Skyrim.[/quote]Have you tried Mass Effect? It was developed by the same developers of Jade Empire, Bioware. Give the Mass Effect 2 demo a try, if you'd like. Other than that, it seems Skyrim would be a good choice too.

I like the wireless controller and used a wireless mic for a long time before finally buying a turtle beach headset.  I used to use a lot of batteries but then I got he plug and play set with extra battery packs!  

I install some games and just use the disc for others.  i guess my go-to games are installed for the most part.  I don't really know that the load time is much different but I have kick butt connection too!

Love the fable games too.  Hmm, what's like them?  not really sure!

I'd also like to chuck Rise of the Argonauts into the pot for games you should try out. Not the prettiest of titles but really run to play with some great characters.

Go to Wally World and get a battery charger (comes w/ four batteries) around $20. Two in the charger and two in the controller. 8 hours to charge, but a lot more than that to drain, not really sure how long they last. Batteries last a lot longer than I do.

Thanks for the input. It's appreciated. I'm guessing that maybe the guy who told me about the plug wearing out on the controller plugs and unplugs it all the time. That'll wear any plug out. Myself, I plan to just leave it plugged in at all times. The rotating batteries idea sounds solid. To be honest, I didn't even know they MADE rechargeable batteries like that, anymore, what with everything having a built-in lithium-ion battery with charger cord. (Yeah. Been in the dark for a while.) My brother owns both Mass Effects. I might borrow them from him.

I do have another question, and I will state ahead of time that I did look for the answer instead of just being lazy. I noticed that, since installing all those games, some of my downloaded games are really choppy, and there have been a few instances where upon exiting the game, it freezes, and I have to turn the console off by the power sensor. I deleted most of the games, leaving only downloaded games, and games with NOTICEABLY shorter load times after installation. Then, I looked through the memory system menu, and I saw there's an option to clear the cache. By doing this, would it help make my downloaded games run properly, again?