Just out of warranty, scratched disk, then banned.

I purchased a console (new) just 14 months ago as a birthday present for my son.
All was fine up until a couple of weeks ago (Just out of warranty) the console scratched a disk (COD) around the outside.
I bought the game new from a local store and except for the occasional game on Portal-2 the COD disk has been about the only game played for the past 3 months.

The scratched disk started playing up, sometimes the game would freeze after the loading screen, sometimes the game would load and he could play but the in-game graphics were messed up (it was weird, lots of things looked like mirrors).

Anyway, about a week ago the game wouldn't get past the loading screen at all so he stopped playing xbox altogether.

I finally took the disk back to where I purchased it and they polished it for just a couple of dollars while I waited (great service from 'Gametraders' in Chadstone BTW)

Anyway, we came back and loaded up the disk and I was very happy to see we could get past the loading screen for the first time in a week but when the console logged into xbox live I gave a message that the console had been banned!
And no I did not buy a microphone for this xbox, there has been no bad behavior.

I can't believe this debacle, I was angry enough that the xbox would scratch a near new disk when it was just 14 months old but to then have the console banned is outrageous.

Should I return the console to the store and demand something be done under warranty, or should I contact microsoft about this? (Where to start)
After paying for a console, then disks, then a microsoft live account one thing is for sure, after this I will certainly not be buying another microsoft console in the future.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

The disk isn't necessarily the xbox's fault. If you move/knock over your xbox with a disk inside, it will scratch it. However the banned issue, lots and lots of people having that (including me) and I for one want to know why!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Microsoft do not un-ban previously banned  consoles as they are permanent. They do not ban people's consoles/accounts lightly, they do so after several investigations.

The most common reason for a banned console is modifying it, but there are other reasons such as marketplace theft.

You might want to post in section 14 in order to get an official answer.

Console Ban

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.